Hello

Hello everyone. New to this site and just wanted to introduce myself. I've kept a myriad of aquariums over years including saltwater tanks back in the late 80s and started my first reef tank almost a year ago. To say the least, technology has sure changed and I've had to really learn and relearn everything all over again.

I have a 72g bowfront tank with a 20long sump. Reef octopus overflow, Hydor performer recirculating skimmer, dual reactors running carbon and gfo , an auto topoff system dosing Kalk infused water from a 32g brute container and another brute container for my saltwater mixing station all wired and plumbed up from the basement so I can just hit a switch for water changes.

Corals I have right now are galxia, gsp, metallic mushrooms, mushroom polyps, green hammer and frogspawns as well as a lot of zoa colonies. I will soon be introducing sps to the display. Fish right now consist of a mated pair of clowns and a bangai cardinal.

Nice to meet some local folks and look forward to talking with many of you.

Chip in Parker

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome!
You dose Kalk from a 32g rubbermaid? You're brave :)
You have to snap a pic of your setup and explain it to me.....I've been wanting to dose Kalk but everything I've read is pretty
general. I don't think I can replace my evaporated water with just Kalk since I'm losing about 5 gallons per day and I'm too afraid
to dose Kalk yet hehe.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
welcome chip

Kalk is really not too difficult because saltwater will only hold it until it reaches saturation which is about 2tsp per gallon. Any extra settles to the bottom as a slurry. I set my pump intake a few inches above the bottom so I don't suck up any of the slurry and its all good. Keep your container air tight or it will develop a film on the top layer (no big deal). Just don't let it be introduced into your tank in large amounts. Many people use dosing pumps or similar so it drips in. My auto topoff does a little squirt (couple of tsps or so) every 15 minutes and it works just fine.

SAZAMA

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
hey chip, hope you love my video. I always love these threads...................................
[video=youtube;GaoLU6zKaws]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaoLU6zKaws[/video]

Last edited by a moderator: