Helpful tips

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
SLewis;272130 said:
Never do a top off with salt water as it will change the salinity (a newby thing to do but i know an experienced reefer who did it withouth thinking about it till is tank started looking sick.)

I do this when my salinity is low. You just need to slowly top off till your salinity is fixed.

SLewis

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Keeping a tea bag of carbon in the skimmer will prevent the "smell" that most skimmers aquire, also helps make clean up easier when cleaning the cup

SLewis

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
when using a siphon hose fill the entire hose with the water you are siphoning from, then plug the end of the hose with your thumb (leaving the suction end submersed) put the hose in your bucket os what ever you are siphoning into and remove your thumb. eliminates all "sucking and blowing" on the siphon hose

Highway66

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I like to shake out or even wash off my cheato with the old water during a water change. Maybe once every 3 months, seem to help, with general health of the sump.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Highway66;272240 said:
I like to shake out or even wash off my cheato with the old water during a water change. Maybe once every 3 months, seem to help, with general health of the sump.
Never thought of that assuming it would take care of detritus build up.

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Andrew_bram;272243 said:
Never thought of that assuming it would take care of detritus build up.
What about all the pods and critters in there? Idk, it is a good point about the detritus though.

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hopefully you are triming it and maintaining it so it isn't getting so dense that you have tons of worms and bristlestars in there. At least in a decent sized system I think you'd have plenty of pods that washing a few away isn't a big loss. Or you could theoretically do the shake off in the sump if you can let detritus collect in an area you then section out when water changing.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Heres a useful trick for all you reefers that keep nems

If you need to remove a nem from a rock but the pesky little bugger wont let go and you dont want to damage his foot, use an ice cube. Gently rub the ice cube around the foot and the nem will slowly let go. Does not hurt the nem either.

GoAvs21

Cyano
M.A.S.C Club Member
Calibrated devices are good devices.

This tip comes from a very recent occurrence: I filled my tank with RO, let it run overnight and then started adding salt to the water. I knowingly dumped in less salt than recommended for my estimated water quantity, easier to add salt than remove it, right?! So I'm at 1.020sg... nearing most suggested ranges. While reading, trying to decide on an exact salinity target and letting the salt dissolve, I decided to calibrate my refractometer. My RO water reads 1.010sg, man would I have been off!

Mav

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
GoAvs21;284327 said:
Calibrated devices are good devices.

This tip comes from a very recent occurrence: I filled my tank with RO, let it run overnight and then started adding salt to the water. I knowingly dumped in less salt than recommended for my estimated water quantity, easier to add salt than remove it, right?! So I'm at 1.020sg... nearing most suggested ranges. While reading, trying to decide on an exact salinity target and letting the salt dissolve, I decided to calibrate my refractometer. My RO water reads 1.010sg, man would I have been off!
I have heard that RO may not be at a perfect 1.0 sg. I think khalis makes his own calibration fluid but I can't remember.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk