How many LEDS????

Justin144

Butterfly Fish
Going into summer, it will be way to hot for me to keep my halides unfortunately. :( . Im not looking to spend alot on a chiller when i can just buy LEDs. My temp is already rising to 83 so im going to need to get the halides out soon!
Im just not sure on LEDs, i havent had them before. A few questions:

How many LEDs should i get?

What LEDs are best for coral??I keep ALL SPS corals. 70 gallon

I would prefer not getting DIY kits...

Im NOT looking to spend alot.(kinda ironic to say when buying LEDs)

Thanks for the help!.. Id love to keep halides but the heat is just ridiculous

I'm looking at these one should do it for your tank 32" 200 watt full spectrum built in programing 430.00 also has the 120wat full spectrum manual dimmer 180.00 both are ever grow brand this guy is usa co he imports them and takes care of warranty my reef to yours use them and has great luck and has good growth and color. check them out Ajm leds http://www.ajmreefled.com/#

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you are looking to go LED, then ignore the rest of this since it won't matter.... but you don't need a chiller to use MH, if you want to know more, then let me know, but it basically includes just putting a fan blowing over the top of your tank. Chillers are also cheaper than good LEDs. The SPS will look different under the LED - if you are happy with your colors, then don't change.

JNG

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have three Chinese 120watt leds over my 175g bowfront and I'm pretty happy with them. I was nervous about switching from t5's to leds, but I have quickly grown fond of them. here is a pic of my tank with them on, the whites are still turned down a bit.
[attachment=64429:name]y

Justin144

Butterfly Fish
jda123;245405 said:
If you are looking to go LED, then ignore the rest of this since it won't matter.... but you don't need a chiller to use MH, if you want to know more, then let me know, but it basically includes just putting a fan blowing over the top of your tank. Chillers are also cheaper than good LEDs. The SPS will look different under the LED - if you are happy with your colors, then don't change.
I already have 3 fans blowing on the halides right now hah

Justin144

Butterfly Fish
JNG;245406 said:
I have three Chinese 120watt leds over my 175g bowfront and I'm pretty happy with them. I was nervous about switching from t5's to leds, but I have quickly grown fond of them. here is a pic of my tank with them on, the whites are still turned down a bit.
View attachment 13643 y
Tank looks great!
How much are these? Two would work over my 70g right?

Justin144

Butterfly Fish
reeferpueblo;245389 said:
I'm looking at these one should do it for your tank 32" 200 watt full spectrum built in programing 430.00 also has the 120wat full spectrum manual dimmer 180.00 both are ever grow brand this guy is usa co he imports them and takes care of warranty my reef to yours use them and has great luck and has good growth and color. check them out Ajm leds http://www.ajmreefled.com/#
How big is the 180$ light?
430 is a bit outta my price range

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Blowing the fans on the lights won't help. My temp won't even rise .5 with the halides on. Since you are SPS keeper, I strongly suggest that you go and look at some SPS LED tanks before you make the move - I have not seen one yet that I would be happy with, but I also understand that everybody is different.

xxHLTxx

Detritus
M.A.S.C Club Member
Kessil 360 i swear by, grow anything and everything, full spectrum dimming and all. little high on price range for ya tho, but ive seen those chinese ones on Ebay go for 90-130 bucks... so for that im saying even if 3 break u still wouldnt have paid a full price Kessil/AI Sol

Justin144

Butterfly Fish
PlumCrazy;245461 said:
Kessil 360 i swear by, grow anything and everything, full spectrum dimming and all. little high on price range for ya tho, but ive seen those chinese ones on Ebay go for 90-130 bucks... so for that im saying even if 3 break u still wouldnt have paid a full price Kessil/AI Sol
Kessils are expensive. Im thinkin two evos

Justin144;245411 said:
How big is the 180$ light?
430 is a bit outta my price range
[h=3]Bridgelux Standard 120w[/h]Go to link

1/8

175 PAR at 21" with no optics
310 PAR at 21" with 90 degree optics

Bridgelux
120W
Cool White- 10000k (27 LEDs)
Royal Blue 450nm (28 LEDs)