how to silence a tank ?

Justin144

Butterfly Fish
I have my tank in my room and am pretty tired of hearing my tank while im trying to sleep... I know one thing i NEED to do is replace the bearings in my MP10 that thing is so loud. Im also tired of hearing the buzzing of my return pump etc.

Anyone have any tips on how to make a tank not as obnoxious?

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
How about thin foam padding to decrease the vibrations from the pump?

BryanF

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Are you getting any noise from the drain or overflow? If so put a valve where water enters the sump and experiment. Makes all the difference!

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have never heard of a quiet MP. If you set it to run constant through the night, then you won't be able to hear it as much as when it changes speed.

What return pump do you have? There are some pretty quiet ones, but they are pricey.

kyuubichan218

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
My mp40s are almost impossible to hear and they're on 100% in reef crest mode with two running anti sync. As long as I have the pad on and adjust the wet side, my skimmer and return are usually louder.

Justin144

Butterfly Fish
ill try adjusting my mp10 to fit better and hopefully it will be more quiet. Right now its the loudest thing on my tank. the drain on my overflow isnt to bad. IMO i would rather hear that than a buzzing pump lol!!

SkyDiv3r17

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Blue filter floss helps everything. Set your return pump on top of it. And if the water draining is kind of loud, you can put blue filter floss ontop of the water it's draining into and that should help.