How would you cut a heatsink? -- Or, anyone have a table/band saw?

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I need to cut 2 corners off of a heatsink, maybe 1" corners max. Does anyone have a table/band saw that could do this, or should I use a sawzaw or jig saw?

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Drew borrowed my Dremel Multi-Max tool to cut his up. LMK if you need to borrow, but youll need to go buy a new $12 blade for it i think.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
This is the one Drew used....just make sure it says metal on it, as one looks exactly the same but only says wood and drywall

ailachami

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I cut up my heatsink before with just a metal handsaw. If you're doing straight line. If you're cutting the fins off then it's trickier. I used a dremel with diamond blade to cut and it works ok.

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I had/have one that is about 1" wide, that I was able to use. I mangled the heatsink pretty bad, but was able to get it cut and in the BC8 canopy. The vibrations knocked all of the LED's off. I now need to find some thermal glue to put them back on. I think that is a good thing, because it had 8 triple CREE pucks on it for a total of 72 watts of CREE LED's. A little too much for a BC8. I'm thinking about taking off the optics, and dropping down to 4 or 6 pucks.

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I was going to keep them, because I have been known to be a hoarder, but could sell them. They are triple LED pucks, 2 blues, and one white, with the solderless connection. Is that something that you could use?