Hydra or Hydra 52??

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
This may be a stupid question, but am looking to purchase my light for the 60g cube since my cycle is nearing its end and cant decide if the 52 is worth the extra $200. I plan to have an SPS dominate tank but will more than likely have a nice mix of SPS, LPS and some zoa's.

What would you go with if you had to decide between these two fixtures?

marinediehard

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
I am picking up my 60 cube tomorrow. I already have the hydra. I will let you know how I feel the coverage and brightness is in a couple of days. The light is currently on my Redsea 34 and the hydra is 11" above the tank and this tank isn't as deep so they are only at about 75% intensity. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
the hydra is good for the 20 inch depth. The hydra 52 is designed more for the 24-30 inch depth. So the ultimate question is do you want to have corals in your sand bed :p

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well I dont think i will have too many corals in the sand (I like a clean sandbed look) but will probably have clams in the sand at some point...

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
clowninaround7474;282849 said:
Well I dont think i will have too many corals in the sand (I like a clean sandbed look) but will probably have clams in the sand at some point...

I would invest in the hydra 52 then. And when you upgrade you will have a light that can go up to 30 inch depth :p

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Haha, my wife would hate to hear that "upgrade" word but I am sure it will happen eventually. I wish I could find someone who is running the Hydra on a 60g cube and see the PAR ratings at the sand bed to really verify if it is worth the upgrade to the 52.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
sethsolomon;283085 said:
and don't you dare say radeon :p they are garbage
Sorry but your opinion is garbage!
Have you ever owned one??
What do you base your opinion on?

How bout this ill put my Radion up against any LED on the Market. Hands down the ONLY lighting that's going to out compete a Radion is MH. Thats not to say other LEDS are not up there in the same league but I think the only other LED on the market that could be argued as being "better" than the Radion is the Mitra.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ThunderTwonk;283114 said:
Sorry but your opinion is garbage!
Have you ever owned one??
What do you base your opinion on?

How bout this ill put my Radion up against any LED on the Market. Hands down the ONLY lighting that's going to out compete a Radion is MH. Thats not to say other LEDS are not up there in the same league but I think the only other LED on the market that could be argued as being "better" than the Radion is the Mitra.

I base my opinion on the 2 show tanks in Fort Collins that have them. But I would like to be proven wrong. My opinion is the lenses are too sharp that they bleach out most corals. But there might be a user error factor involved as always. So please prove me wrong.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wow thats absolutely an amazing analysis there! You've seen a couple other tanks (not your own) using them and they bleach corals? By that same example MH, VHO, and T5 are also garbage because I cant tell you how many tanks ive seen using them that look terrible. You can bleach corals with ANY led if you don't use it properly.

Before you start using words like "garbage" please do some real home work first.

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Id say the two are very comparable... and more of a personal preference. Take a look at the specs... you cant really argue between the two.

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
no need to apologize to me... I appreciate this type of OT conversation. Hearing one person's experiences with a product, coral or fish can help someone in the future. You never know when someone may come across this in a search and benefit from it.