Issue with changing salt mix?

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hi all. Been a while since I switched salts. Went from reef crystals to tropic Marin. Did a 20-30% change on Sunday (this is my normal change amount) and see this difference still today in my euphyllia. Zoa's also closed. Love your thoughts.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
One additional bit of info. Adding a tiny yellow watchman and candy cane pistol shrimp. Both under 1". They don't appear to be moving enough sand to create sediment in the water column but perhaps its not perceptible?

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Did you test the new salt mix and compare with previous? Doing that really would be the only way to diagnose possible issues.
My guess though, is that the new salt maybe has higher, or lower, alk/ca then previous, and it just threw off the stability for a bit. Likely will correct as stability with the new salt is established.

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Did you test the new salt mix and compare with previous? Doing that really would be the only way to diagnose possible issues.
My guess though, is that the new salt maybe has higher, or lower, alk/ca then previous, and it just threw off the stability for a bit. Likely will correct as stability with the new salt is established.
Soo.... Tested my alk today. It was up a whopping 50 points. That's from 145 (8.12) to 190 (10.64). Who knows what it was right after the water change. So apparently TM is MUCH higher in alk than reef crystals. I'll need to drive up my alk to account for the increase in ALK. Going to mix a batch to see what it is so that I can get the tank to that level. Back frogspawn coming back. Not sure on the front hammer.

Last edited:

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Should I try and drop the alk or ride it out since it's been 3 days?

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Check your batch number on the TM salt. There are well known issues with some bad batches.

TM has to travel a long way and it can settle. Always dry mix it before you use.