Leak in RO/Di Unit- should I send back for warranty repair or easy fix?

Labsalesguy

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
hey all,

So I hooked up my new RO/DI unit and there is a tiny leak ( 1 to 3 drops every minute or so) between stage 1 and 2. This is the small connector between the tops of the two housings. I dont see any cracks... PIC below.

Waitng for reply from Filterguys---should hassle with shiping the whole thing back and wait or is it easy fix for me?

thanks,
View attachment 16672

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
You can probably fix it with super glue - the runny kind. However, see if they will warranty it first since it will never come apart again after that.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just curious why are folks saying you cant fix this? I had the same leak on one of my units I just disassembled it and put the the connecting piece back in with some teflon tape and it never leaked again.

Its great they are sending a new unit and all but I would think this is fairly common.

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
IMO if the company is willing to send you a new unit or parts then do it this way. Otherwise yes take things apart and reseal with teflon tape. Good customer service.

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think it is also important to let the company know this is happening so they can make any modifications or adjustments to the build quality.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ThunderTwonk;281671 said:
Just curious why are folks saying you cant fix this? I had the same leak on one of my units I just disassembled it and put the the connecting piece back in with some teflon tape and it never leaked again.

Its great they are sending a new unit and all but I would think this is fairly common.

If its cracked adding Teflon tape would just make it worse over time. Better to replace than try to fix. Especially if they just send a new part.

Labsalesguy

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
welll since its brand new they offered a fix with new top cap piece- i should get today. I probably could fix myself, but didnt want to void any warranty. owner said it probably got jarred in shipping- but who knows.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
sethsolomon;281806 said:
If its cracked adding Teflon tape would just make it worse over time. Better to replace than try to fix. Especially if they just send a new part.
But he specifically says he dosnt see an cracks. Obviously a crack changes things. I am certainly not suggesting one shouldn't get a replacement from the manufacturer if they are willing to back their product im just saying this sort of thing is common in y experience and usually quite fixable. People buy these used all the time and my encounter this problem (I have) which likely isn't going to be candidate for the manufacture sending free replacement parts.

Just sayin.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ThunderTwonk;281816 said:
But he specifically says he dosnt see an cracks. Obviously a crack changes things. I am certainly not suggesting one shouldn't get a replacement from the manufacturer if they are willing to back their product im just saying this sort of thing is common in y experience and usually quite fixable. People buy these used all the time and my encounter this problem (I have) which likely isn't going to be candidate for the manufacture sending free replacement parts.

Just sayin.
oh true. I had not read the part about no cracks