Leaky Biocube!!!

I came home today to find that the bottom rim of my Biocube 14 was encrusted with salt, semi wet to the touch. Apparently, Biocubes are somewhat notorious for leaking. I've had mine for 5 years or so, (4 years in storage as I moved a lot). I've had it set up for about 4 months and had no issues until recently. I think I already know the answer to this, but will I need to drain my entire tank and attempt to find where the leak is coming from before I reseal it, or is there a different method to fix it without draining it?

Additional note: There is no visible sign of damage to the tank.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
could it have been splashed out the top some how? clean up the salt creep and such as much as you can and see if you can determine the exact point where it is leaking. Since it a bio-cube, resealing shouldn't be to difficult but you will need to relocate everything in it for a week or so to do. I recently did that on my 75g which was a PITA moving everything in to a temp tank, but the resealing its self wasnt that hard. Just had to clean it out, remove all the old silicon in the tank, mask off the edges and then run a new bead down each of the seams.

SynDen;316101 said:
could it have been splashed out the top some how? clean up the salt creep and such as much as you can and see if you can determine the exact point where it is leaking. Since it a bio-cube, resealing shouldn't be to difficult but you will need to relocate everything in it for a week or so to do. I recently did that on my 75g which was a PITA moving everything in to a temp tank, but the resealing its self wasnt that hard. Just had to clean it out, remove all the old silicon in the tank, mask off the edges and then run a new bead down each of the seams.
I thought the same thing as I noticed it a day ago and didn't think much of it as I cleaned it up. However today it seems to be a lot more. It is midly frustrating as I was finally to a point where my zoas were growing and now I have to relocate them for a little bit...Grr... Ohwell, by the time I get all the kinks worked out, I will be a pro with Biocubes

On a side note Sethsolomon, if you are looking for the filters, you could check out Animal Attraction in Greeley they usually have a few on hand.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
YodaReefer;316102 said:
I thought the same thing as I noticed it a day ago and didn't think much of it as I cleaned it up. However today it seems to be a lot more. It is midly frustrating as I was finally to a point where my zoas were growing and now I have to relocate them for a little bit...Grr... Ohwell, by the time I get all the kinks worked out, I will be a pro with Biocubes

On a side note Sethsolomon, if you are looking for the filters, you could check out Animal Attraction in Greeley they usually have a few on hand.

I just was wondering as when the filter cartridges get too full water can leak out of the back chamber sometimes. I have not used a filter cartridge on my biocube in 4 years.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Well if it increasing that fast, I wouldnt waste time and start relocating stuff asap. Reseal on a tank that same will be pretty quick, but the new silicon will need 48 hours to fully cure and then fill with water and let sit for a few days to make sure no leaks.

sethsolomon;316103 said:
I just was wondering as when the filter cartridges get too full water can leak out of the back chamber sometimes. I have not used a filter cartridge on my biocube in 4 years.
I did have that problem a while ago, I am so thankful I do not use them anymore.

SynDen;316104 said:
Well if it increasing that fast, I wouldnt waste time and start relocating stuff asap. Reseal on a tank that same will be pretty quick, but the new silicon will need 48 hours to fully cure and then fill with water and let sit for a few days to make sure no leaks.
I will look for a suitable temp home for everything

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
If you are in denver I have a standard 10g you could use if you need it, but someone around greely might have one too