LED Controller Questions

Hello All,

Well, in the last 12 hours or so, I've learned more about LEDs than I ever wanted to know :) As some of you knew, I bought 3 LED fixtures from a member for a great deal yesterday. I knew from the git go that there would be work involved with making them functional. I had assumed that there was only an issue with the largest of the drivers but I believe that on at least 2 of them, the controller or the display pad is bad as well as the power button doesn't seem to work at all. The drivers seem to work as I tested them without the controller (9 volt battery as the dimmer) and the lights lit up... and bright. I can't lie to you, I am not smart enough to figure out how to work the controller panel anyway. On the one that does work, I can get the power on and not much more...

So,for the ones with what seem to be broken controllers or displays, I seem to have a few options from cheap to not so much...

1. Try to get warranty parts and fix it using those.
2. Wire up each channel to a manual dimmer and wire power cords for each channel to a timer.
3. Use something like this http://www.boostled.com/product_p/typhon.htm and wire it into each fixture...
4. Go full on reef keeper light with advanced lighting control or reef angel...

My goal, as you would expect, is to get these up and running soon as inexpensively as possible. I worry about 1. above since I'll be replacing the controllers, etc with what was there before that broke after six month of usage. 2 and 3 seem like good short term solutions and 4 looks like a good solution for the long run...

As I am pretty new to this, I'm looking for suggestions,
Aaron

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you do anything other than #1 you may be voiding the 1.5yrs of warranty they have left on them. Just throwing that out there.

As for the dimming, are the drivers PWM or 1-10V? If they are PWM dimming, then you can use either the Typhoon or the RKL. If they are 1-10V, then you'll need to either use the DIM4 or the Apex.

Thats true... Actually, as part of the parts that I received, there were controller boards, however, they weren't the right ones as they are missing quite a few of the connections that the existing ones have...

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
it's actually 2.5 years left on the warranty. Just get the contact info from who you bought them from. I've had one of his replacement controllers since June. He never came and got it so you're welcome to come get it once you have your lamps.

BTW, I put the working one on my tank. looks amazing compared to my PCs. Of course, the sides are dark since I need two working but it still looks better.

Cherub, I'm guessing that controller is the wrong one like the other two I have but I'd love to get it so that I can check and see.

Ok. I actually got them ALL working. No new controllers needed... maybe.

One of them has time going by roughly 3-4 times faster than it really is. My days are too short as it is. Any thoughts?