Led light flickering?

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Have a led fixture that the blues will waver up and down in power independent of the dimmer control. First 30 sec is at 10% last 15 I turned up to full power.

http://youtu.be/Jrc1GRpfxxo

Sent from my typewriter.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
It's being reflected in the plastic I have covering the aquarium so the camera can capture it better.

Sent from my typewriter.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
I havent run LEDs before but I would guess that the controller is going out

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Driver? My guess was that or there's a bad connection to one of the LEDs. It's connected to a power strip that's plugged into a wall outlet independent of the rest of the tank. I have them on old school timers to so it could b that.

Sent from my typewriter.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
ya sorry driver not controller, but ya could be any of those you listed. Id try testing it in different outlets without the timer first and if it still doing it maybe take it apart and look for any loose connections on the leds. Just work you way from the plug back to the controller and try and eliminate as many possibilities as possible.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks for the help! will try to trace it tonight.

Sent from my typewriter.

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Does it only do it when you get to 100%? In previous experiences when an LED strobes/flashes it is getting to much current for the LED. Is this diy? Hth

Sent from my SCH-R970C using Tapatalk

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
DIY yes and it does it at low power-high power intermittently.

Sent from my typewriter.

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sounds like the driver, I'm not sure if they have an internal voltage regulator but I would put my money on the driver.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Switch the two drivers. If the whites flicker after doing this, the driver is bad and needs to be replaced. If the blues still flicker after swapping the two drivers, your problem is a loose connection or bad solder joint.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life, and you can PROVE it mathematically.

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
zombie;307155 said:
Switch the two drivers. If the whites flicker after doing this, the driver is bad and needs to be replaced. If the blues still flicker after swapping the two drivers, your problem is a loose connection or bad solder joint.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life, and you can PROVE it mathematically.
+1