livestock dying!!!

robert.talarico

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
It appears I have ich. One of my clowns died. The other one has it as well. All I have in theree is a b&w clown, a rbta, some xenias, a clam, some zoas and my janitors. I have a 3 gallon pico I can use as a hospital tank. What do I need to treat? What medicine do I use? How do I get it out of the display? Someone please help. I am only familiar with freshwater ich

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would take the clown out and put it in quarantine for two and a half months.
In the quarantine tank, I'd have 1.010 salinity. Don't add any fish to the display
until the end of the quarantine time. That's how I treated ich. Others have used
copper treatments in a separate tank.

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Get a section of PVC so he can hide. No sand, no LR. A 2.5" union works good.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Having the salinity that low is essential but don't use a swing arm to check salinity, use a refractometer that has been calibrated not too long ago.
No substrate, no LR. A sponge filter will help but I'd only use a new one and it would take a week or so to get a good bacteria colony. Don't bring ANYTHING except the fish over from the tank with ich. You can acclimate the clown slowly to the salinity but when lowering salinity I don't acclimate them at all. After the quarantine period is up, you will have to SLOWLY raise the salinity over a period of about a week.
Keep some PVC pieces in the quarantine tank so he can have some hiding places. Aerate the tank very well and raise the temp up to around 82F to speed up the life cycle of the ich parasite. Keep an eye on the ammonia and change half the water every day or more.
Good luck.
I hate ich.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok one of my new clowns has ich or clown fish disease, he looks like he has white zits. Moved into QT tank, raised temp, salinity at 1.010. How do we aerate the tank, put an air pump in there? What do I treat with, medicine wise.

Sorry to hijack, but we have similar issues and I needed more info.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Aerate with an airstone or sponge filter. I wouldn't use medicine unless I had to. Cupramine is used
but you'll never be able to use that tank for anything but a QT tank ever again. Also you'll need a test
kit for the type of copper it is and you'll have to maitain it VERY accurately.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
The parasite will normally not be able to handle the low salinity and will die.
The osmotic pressure will normally kill the swimming form of parasite which is
why you want to keep the salinity low for about 8 weeks. This will ensure that
the parasite has had plenty of time to go through several life cycles. Keeping
the main tank empty of fish for about 2 to 3 months will ensure that any parasites
that were in the tank could not find a host and will die.

robert.talarico

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
My clown is all better. I did what gale said. At that low of salinity the parasite basically falls off the fish. The you raise the temp to speed up the life cycle past the hosting point. As far as aeration I used a powerfilter in the qt with no lid. Worked good. No I'm just waiting a month for the parasite to die in my display.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
yep, at least two months. I waited almost three when I had an outbreak.
Glad the clown is feeling better. Keep an eye on him still, the parasite could still be active for a while.