Marine magic or jebao dosing pump?

J.guokas

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
I am in the market for a dosing pump and was looking at these two pumps since the price point is just right. Which one would you recommend and why?

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I wasn't happy with my marine magic doser. The longevity of the pump heads was pretty poor in comparison to some of the more pricey brands. I ran the dual doser for maybe a year and had to change pump heads every 3-4 months; since I was only dosing a 28g tank that seemed pretty poor given the pump's daily running time. What you save up front you end up spending on replacement heads and peristaltic tubing...for me this meant ordering from the manufacturer directly and waiting for shipping from China. No experience with the Jebao...but if I had to do it all over again I'd honestly just get some BRS dosers.

J.guokas

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have two brs dosing pumps now and had them being controlled with my reef keeper lite. Although it worked, I feel like with an actual dosing unit of be able to control my dosing a little bit more. I guess I am just un happy with the rkl controlling the pumps.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
That makes sense. It's actually why I ended up buying the marine magic dosers. The controls on them were great; if you pick up a marine magic doser I'd request a bunch of spare parts. When I ordered mine on ebay I submitted a "best offer" and they negotiated a cost a few bucks higher than my offer and threw in 2 additional pump heads. If you go that route, I'd just order a handful of spare parts upfront to avoid the headache later :)

I was just looking at these pumps for myself, marune magic has fairly positive reviews and from all I've read pretty excellent customer service. Quite a few reviews I saw said that they were shipped repair parts free of charge once displeasure was expressed.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you have an Apex, go DOS or BRS... nice having them controlled.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Munch;341150 said:
If you have an Apex, go DOS or BRS... nice having them controlled.
+1 those are so much better. Both of the chinese units are prone to failure. I got a marine magic sitting in a bucket at home that every head was toast in less than 6 months. They are terribly inconsistent even with regular head changes. I gave up on it and now use a calcium reactor and BRS dosing pumps.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
In my opinion dosing pumps are one of those pieces of equipment you dont want to skimp on. I was going to say BRS for the cheapest reliable solution but that's moot since you already have them.

I agree even using the DA RKE to control mine the multi-timer function for dosing is not ideal but id take that any day over one of the Chinese units.

Just my two pennies.

I have the jebao pump, and no complaints yet. Easy to use, plenty of settings to fine tune thing. It has a calibration mode so you can calibrate each head individually. Everything you would expect.