Mercury or Digital Thermometers?

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have my other breeder tank set up with an Eheim heater in the DT and a small 10 gallon heater in the sump. I have both mercury and digital thermometer and they're off from the each other by five degrees. Which one do you all trust more? I don't remember needing to calibrate the digital ones.

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'd trust the Mercury one. I use both. a mercury one floating in my sump and a temp probe in my apex.

What digital one are you using? if its plugged into a controller there should be a way to calibrate it. If its just a cheap digital one I think most of those are +/- 3 degree's.

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just the basic ones you see all over the place. I attached a picture of it.

rjl45

Clown Fish
Mercury, or alcohol will be more accurate than that digital. I bought 3 of the digital, under 2 brand names, all 3 had varying temps by up to +/- 3 degrees. I keep my mercury thermometer in the back, for more accurate temps and pull it out from time to time for accurate checks, and use the digital for a quick check because it's much easier to access.

The key to the cheap digital thermometer is to keep a good battery in it and it should consistently read a temp. May not be a correct temp, but close enough for reference.

rjl45

Clown Fish
Oh, one more thing... The digital tend to read low more often than not, so be careful to avoid cooking your corals. One of mine reads 76, with mercury reading 78.