MH bulb questions

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey all. So picked up Scott's (hoosierdaddy) 36" dual 250w MH and dual t5 fixture. Thanks Scott. Trying to figure out bulb combo for growth. This is going over a 48x24x12 tank. Thinking geismann actinics for both t5s. For the MHs (DE) need some help. I know Seth and others like the Phoenix 14k. Doesn't look like I can get those anymore. Looked at a few others but would like some more opinions. Also interested in hanging height. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Adam

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
There are a couple of places that have the Phoenixes still. I got some 2 weeks ago from Champion Lighting. Bit more expensive then what I wanted to pay though.

BrianH

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I had been running the phoenix 14k 250w de bulbs for 2 years and for an experiment, I switched 2 months ago to the XM 10k and doubled the amount of actinic led supplementation to balance out the color. At first I couldn't get past how much yellower they are than the 14k bulbs and really disliked them. The first month a couple of my corals lost a little color but most stayed the same. This second month the growth rate has taken off. I have never had my corals grow so fast. This was the trade off I expected, and because of the growth, I'm much more tolerant of the color difference.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
As I understand it the pheonix bulb should be available again in june or july. Personal preference but I would go ATI blue+ for the t5s but the geismann are good bulbs too.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
SynDen;346546 said:
As I understand it the pheonix bulb should be available again in june or july. Personal preference but I would go ATI blue+ for the t5s but the geismann are good bulbs too.

Hexarc are selling re branded Guisenman bulbs for almost 1/2 the price.

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Damn straight. Thanks Chad! So next question is hanging height. Only have 12" of water at most to go through. How far above do I need to put it?

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
CRW Reef;346590 said:
Good luck, every time I think I found a hidden stash, I get an email 2 days later trying to substitute a different bulb.

I run my 250 MH about 20"-24" above my frag tank. Gives me good spread, and about 400 par directly below the light. I'm using a Hamilton 14k right now. No real opinion on them yet.

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just ordered them from 1000bulbs for $55 each. They had 3 left so now they have 1.

BrianH

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
quillin35;346625 said:
so your saying that the lower the k value the better growth you'll get?
No, k stands for kelvin which in these types of bulbs describes the color of the light. 6,500 k is the color (yellow/green) of the sun, 20,000 k is bluer light. The light component of what makes corals grow is measured in units of par (photosyntheticly active radiation). Higher par usually equates to more opportunity for the corals to grow. The 10,000k XM bulb I switched to has a higher par rating than the 14,000 k bulb I had been using. I am no lighting expert, if you want to read more Sanjay Joshi has done a lot of lighting research and has written many articles about it.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
20K XM looks OK, almost too blue and has low output. 10K will grow some coral. 14K hammy is OK - decent color and growth. 13K AB is a bit yellow and an output monster - looks more like a 10K to me. I forgot what the Megachrome 12.5 looked like, but it is chrome and has something mega in it and is made in Germany like the Shamwow... so it has to be good, right?

There is no substitute for 14K Phoneix - none. Get some if you can.

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
jda123;346658 said:
20K XM looks OK, almost too blue and has low output. 10K will grow some coral. 14K hammy is OK - decent color and growth. 13K AB is a bit yellow and an output monster - looks more like a 10K to me. I forgot what the Megachrome 12.5 looked like, but it is chrome and has something mega in it and is made in Germany like the Shamwow... so it has to be good, right?

There is no substitute for 14K Phoneix - none. Get some if you can.
Glad I pulled the trigger on the Phoenix bulbs! Hopefully they'll be more available in June/July.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
FWIW - if they don't start making 14k phoenix again and my stash gets depleted in a few years, I am going to use my M80 ballasts and go 10K Hamilton SE with VHO Super Actinics... I am just not that impressed with other DE bulbs, except for the 20K radium (which only comes in 150w version at the moment).

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have 2 pheonix 14k 250w De HQI- brand new never used I'll let go for 30 each, also have 2 Xm 20k's used for almost 4 months for $20 for both.

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dammit. Bulbs fell through. Not sure what to buy now. Are the 150 watt bulbs interchangeable with the 250 watt bulbs in the same fixture? If so do I go with the Phoenix 14k 150 watt bulb or the radium 20k 150w? Or something else

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
When I picked up the Phoenix bulbs from Champion I also got one of their 14k Blueline bulbs which are Champions brand. It appears slightly bluer and slightly bright but seems comparable to the Phoenix bulbs. I could take a pic tomorrow if you'd like. Let me know.

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
MuralReef;347743 said:
When I picked up the Phoenix bulbs from Champion I also got one of their 14k Blueline bulbs which are Champions brand. It appears slightly bluer and slightly bright but seems comparable to the Phoenix bulbs. I could take a pic tomorrow if you'd like. Let me know.
Thanks. Just looking for optimum growth. Let me know how it fairs.