MH help

BPreefer

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm wanting to find out what others thoughts are on what ballast I should run for a 250w de 14k Phoenix in a reef optix 3+ reflector. I was looking at the aqua medic reeflex cube, because I like the price point and some say that magnetic ballast is the was to go. I have never owned Mh lighting and would appreciate any opinions. It is all just a little confusing to me as I continue to research. Thanks

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Some bulbs run better on electronic ballast and some run better on magnetic, just depends on the bulb, so I would start there. If your set on the Phoenix 14K (great bulb by the way) make sure your buying the correct type of ballast (I think phoenix likes magnetic). Both types will fire the bulb, but only the specifed type will fire it to its full potential and prolong the life of the bulb.

Ive used cheap ballast and Ive used expensive ballast, never really noticed a difference until I started playing with bulbs.

BPreefer

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ReefCheif;279722 said:
Some bulbs run better on electronic ballast and some run better on magnetic, just depends on the bulb, so I would start there. If your set on the Phoenix 14K (great bulb by the way) make sure your buying the correct type of ballast (I think phoenix likes magnetic). Both types will fire the bulb, but only the specifed type will fire it to its full potential and prolong the life of the bulb.

Ive used cheap ballast and Ive used expensive ballast, never really noticed a difference until I started playing with bulbs.
Thanks sounds like I may be on the right track then. How happy were you with the Phoenix 14k?

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
The M80 is the only ballast worth running a HQI bulb with. An electronic or M58 magnetic ballast will not drive it right - it will produce light, but it won't be the same.

The Reeflux Cube is a nice setup.

BPreefer

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
jda123;279774 said:
The M80 is the only ballast worth running a HQI bulb with. An electronic or M58 magnetic ballast will not drive it right - it will produce light, but it won't be the same.

The Reeflux Cube is a nice setup.
Are there any other ballasts that would be a good choice. It looks like the cubes are on back order everywhere.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
ANSI M80 is the one for HQI. There are other places to get them and other manufacturers. You can probably find a used one too.

You can use a electronic if you need to buy some time, but I might suggest that you get a M80 as soon as you can.

BPreefer

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
jda123;279777 said:
ANSI M80 is the one for HQI. There are other places to get them and other manufacturers. You can probably find a used one too.

You can use a electronic if you need to buy some time, but I might suggest that you get a M80 as soon as you can.
Thanks, I'm just putting this together, so no rush. Just wondering if there is one that is better than another. Sounds like the m80 is the way to go. Are you currently using this type of ballast ? And with what bulbs? Thanks for taking the time. I just really would like to buy the right things the first time.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
BPreefer;279771 said:
Thanks sounds like I may be on the right track then. How happy were you with the Phoenix 14k?
LOL, I liked them, but I like the radiums better!!

BPreefer

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
jda123;279854 said:
I run 250W DE 14K Phoeinx on ANSI M80 right now. You can come see if you want.
Thanks for the offer and I appreciate the help. If I'm ever up that direction I will let you know.

Dr.DiSilicate

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
BPreefer;280034 said:
Thanks for the offer and I appreciate the help. If I'm ever up that direction I will let you know.
it's worth the trip! I need to pick his brain soon.