Need a New Skimmer

SeaMonkey

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I was cleaning my skimmer tonight and found that the back of the pump is now starting to rust up. It is a bubble blaster HY2000s and the skimmer is a super reef octopus xp-2000 cone skimmer. I think it might be a sign I need a new skimmer considering just the pump is $200-$300. My tank is a 180 reef tank with a sump and refugium for a total water volume around 230 gallons. I have a footprint in my sump of 14.5" x 14.5" with a height restriction of 26" for the new protein skimmer. Does anyone have a good suggestion on what to get? I know everyone prefers different brands but just thought I would see what might work for me. Thanks for all the help.

kio707

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Asm G3 is good. I had one on my 180g, but the pump did go out. It was used, so not sure how long it was used. I loved it.

Chris_W

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Any room for an external skimmer? Just started using one myself, I'll never go back to internal. Everything is more accessible. The external SRO's are a decent price.

High Plains Reefer

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
word of advice with externals have a way for them to drain back to the sump just in case they over flow when your not around I will never use a external ever again without a drain back to the sump because of this

ayaws

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm quite happy with my LifeReef VS2-24. Solid, stable, and effective/efficient. It's rated for up to 250G but you might want to go with a larger one. Relatively reasonably priced and can be had locally (and made in Morrison.) Jeff has one of the most atrocious websites I've ever seen but it does work...www.lifereef.com. (Long-time fan.)

ayaws

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well, since I can't seem to figure out how to edit that last post -- I want to add: I run my skimmer external to my sump. Never had an overflow issue with it due to the way it's designed (with the cup installed.) Without the cup installed, it's definitely possible.

SeaMonkey

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
I am not sure I want to go with an external quit yet. I was looking at the Reef Octopus Regal 200 INT skimmer. Anyone know much about it or how well it works?

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
I use a reef octopus and its a great brand of skimmers in my experience. Dont have experience with that particular unit but the one I have works great. Its a little odd in that it works best when it is pretty dirty. Once its dirty it pulls out amazing amounts of skimmate, but once I clean, especially if I clean with vinegar, I have to break it in all over again. That really the only issue I have with it but otherwise it is an awesome skimmer.

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
SynDen;341924 said:
I use a reef octopus and its a great brand of skimmers in my experience. Dont have experience with that particular unit but the one I have works great. Its a little odd in that it works best when it is pretty dirty. Once its dirty it pulls out amazing amounts of skimmate, but once I clean, especially if I clean with vinegar, I have to break it in all over again. That really the only issue I have with it but otherwise it is an awesome skimmer.
+1 on reef octopus brand. I have one and love it. It's been pulling nastiness out of my tank for year and a half without any issues, bought new.

I personally use ASM only now. I wasted so much dough on garbage hyped-up and expensive skimmers that don't do well at altitude. The sedra pump is clean and easily repairable, the skimmer body is ugly but bullet proof.

Chris_W

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Running a SRO external, I love it. I know some relatives of mine are running the various Avast skimmers and they seem to enjoy them.

opakapaka

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've got a SWC mini cone skimmer that just needs a new pump if you are interested
I think a new pump is around $100.