Need Advice - Big Mistake, Paying the price

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I need some quick advice. Made a huge mistake when I did the re build on my 180and didnt replace my sump/fuge like I should have when I had the tank empty and could have easily done so.

A baffle in my fuge has failed causing too much water to pour into the return side and not enough water in the fuge. This caused the dialed in water levels in the sump to go haywire, thus in turn my skimmer sprayed about 20-30 gallons of water all over the floor of the stand and all over the floor of my living room.

I need to replace the sump without breaking the tank down, and I need to try and fix the floor of the stand if I can

Tank is 180gallon
Current sump - 40 breeder
New sump - 75 - 90gal?? (suggestions)

The sump/fuge will obviously need to be replaced, not a problem, Ill build a new bigger, badder one and be happy again.

Heres the problem. How the hek am I going to get the old sump out and put the new one in without completly breaking down the tank? The stand has three doors, with a devider/support between each door. The size of the opening is not big enough to get the current sumo out, or put a new one in at that. I dont think I can remove the devider/support between the doors or remove the end panel of the standin fear the stand will collapse if it loses that support. Also, the water has caused the floor of the stand to buckle a bit (this is the second time the skimmer has done this to me), the floor is not bad, but if I can I of course would like to fix it.

Can I remove the devider between the doors?
Heres a pic of what the looks like
View attachment 13854

Or can I take the side panel off?
Heres a pic of that area
View attachment 13855

Im worried the damn thing will collapse and need suggestions on what to do as well as what to do about the floor? Please help!!!!

Thanks

Dr.DiSilicate

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
how established is the tank? I'd drain it if you can... then put the new fuge in and replace everything. If you don't feel that will work... my vote is to remove the front divider.

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Any chance cutting the side panel and sliding the old out and new in? When I built mine that's how I designed it, but it is a steel stand so all I do is remove a panel.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
The tank itself is about 3 months established after the rebuild, before that 2 years. I reall yonly added new rock, re did the stack and changed out equipment. I really dont want to mess with the tank, I had way too many damn issue during the re build and everything is finally starting to calm down and come back.

Looking at the side panel I think its actually providing support, it appears to be nothched at the top and bottom where it joins with the frame.

Wondering if I can use two jacks fo some sort, put them as far to the left and right of the opening as I can and remove that center devider between the doors.

I will of course be draining as much water as possible, I can probably take 100 gallons out of it before I run out of storage containers.

Aaron

Cyano
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've always wondered what I would do if something like that happened to me.

IMO, you don't want to cut into your cabinet; it's very risky. I think your best bet is to drain your 180 gallon and do it without compromising the cabinet.

On the bright side, perhaps this is your chance to upgrade? Good luck.

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Need Advice - Big Mistake, Paying the price

If it was me this is what I would do. I would pull the tank out away from the wall with some serious help of course. Enough to build a a leg on each side of the stand with a cross support running through the stand to the other side secured to the legs. I would remove the end panel and replace the floor of the cabinet at the same time. Or some variation of the sort. But at least you would have support. Just my. 002

Sent from Earth

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm no engineer, but if you pull out 100 gallons, removing that center brace for a few minutes might be ok.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
CindyL;247058 said:
I'm no engineer, but if you pull out 100 gallons, removing that center brace for a few minutes might be ok.
Itll be a bit more than a few minutes, maybe an hour if Im lucky.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
It's hard to say without looking at the stand in person, to see how the thing is braced on the inside, but that might still be ok if you take a bunch of the weight off it.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
deboy69;247054 said:
If it was me this is what I would do. I would pull the tank out away from the wall with some serious help of course. Enough to build a a leg on each side of the stand with a cross support running through the stand to the other side secured to the legs. I would remove the end panel and replace the floor of the cabinet at the same time. Or some variation of the sort. But at least you would have support. Just my. 002

Sent from Earth
I like that Idea and I dont think Id have to pull the tank forward, I was at least somewhat smart when I had it empty and pulled it about 8" from the wall just in case I ever needed to get back there it would be easier. I think I can build a couple braces out of 2x6s, wedge them in place and remove that cenetr support, pull old sump out, fix floor, put new sump in and replace support.

Now to find a find a cheap tank to build a sump out of

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Re: Need Advice - Big Mistake, Paying the price

Can you make your system a closed loop while you dry out sump and re-silicone in 1-2 baffles? Meaning plumb the return to overflow? Just a wild insane idea/thought.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
CRW Reef;247070 said:
Can you make your system a closed loop while you dry out sump and re-silicone in 1-2 baffles? Meaning plumb the return to overflow? Just a wild insane idea/thought.
I could do this, would be a pain in the ... but could be done. Id rather pull it and upgrade if i can though.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Drain as much water as possible, put in a temp brace or two on the right side, so that when you remove the center brace it doesn't collapse.

[attachment=64468:name]

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Munch;247095 said:
Drain as much water as possible, put in a temp brace or two on the right side, so that when you remove the center brace it doesn't collapse.

View attachment 13859
I think this is going ot be the plan. Now to get a new sump and I can get this going.

Need Advice - Big Mistake, Paying the price

I had the middle support buckle inwards and the bottom of the support move in towards the back of the stand on my 90 gallon once years ago, I carefully and slowly used a floor jack to move the support back in place. I don't know how long the support was messed up but it was not providing any support to my stand for at least a couple of days before I found it and fixed it. So I'm thinking if you drained half your water and worked quick you would pry be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a stand that is pretty much identical, but without seeing it, I can't be 100% sure. But, on my stand, that center piece in the front is more for the doors than it is for support. I tend to agree with CindyL. Drain the 100 gal, remove the piece between the doors, then replace it. The idea of using jacks would probably work here too, if just for piece of mind anyway.