Need advice on a camera

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Need advice on a camera

Those are some pretty good deals. Even though the lenses are not macro you could get a set of extension tubes to get you by until you find another good deal on a true macro. I am a canon guy mostly just because thats what i started with but I have heard that Nikon kit lenses are better than canon kit lenses. Not sure how much truth there is to that but its a gripe a hear a lot from canon users stating that canon purposefuly puts out lower grade kit lenses regarless of price point to bait there customers in to buying the better L series lenses. Again not sure if there is any truth in that but food for thought. One thing i am sure of is Nikon sensors have better dynamic range than canon does. Just more food for thought.

Last edited by a moderator:

rjl45

Clown Fish
I'm a nikon guy, and I would agree about the kit lenses. They are lower quality. I have found that lower quality lenses are more than acceptable for general purpose photography; family outings, birthdays, camping trips, etc... For the specialized areas (macro, wide angle and telephoto) a higher quality lens will make a huge difference in clarity and sharpness of the image, speed of focus, and aperture range. That cannon macro lens on Craigslist is a good starting point, and could be packaged with one of the kits.

Side note: when you do get your setup, buy a good UV filter for your lens. Don't skimp on this... it helps protect the main lens from dust and scratches. Think of it as the "sacrificial" lens that can be replaced when it gets scratched (not if...when...Lenses will always get scratched). A cheap filter will reduce clarity in your image and negates a lot of the benefits a good lens provides.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
rjl45;366065 said:
Side note: when you do get your setup, buy a good UV filter for your lens. Don't skimp on this... it helps protect the main lens from dust and scratches. Think of it as the "sacrificial" lens that can be replaced when it gets scratched (not if...when...Lenses will always get scratched). A cheap filter will reduce clarity in your image and negates a lot of the benefits a good lens provides.
Yep I agree with this as well and keep in mind not all UV filters are created equal like most things you get what you pay for. IMO ist better to invest in the better quality filter as you do not want to be placing an inferior piece of glass in front of your lens.