New LED review and pics - dimmable, full spectrum "cheap" chinese units

GN138

Turbo Snail
Until now I have only had a cheap, modular LED light on my 75 gallon made by Aqueon. It allows 3 strips of (29) 1 watt white LEDs and (4) blue moonlights. The brightness of the white LEDs in this light are prob between 4500k-6500k. The light either lets me have the whites on, or just the moonlights.

I have kept frogspawn, zoas, mushrooms, gsp and even a nice sized RBTA under these lights. Everything is growing fairly well. Recently I also picked up a couple variations of birdsnest, a candy cane and a hollywood stunner from Craigar. Everything has been doing great....its just that everything looks greenish-brown under these lights.

So, for Christmas, I just picked these lights up

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-165W-D...al-/370858771177?ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:1120

continued....

GN138

Turbo Snail
These fixtures are about 15" long and feel really sturdy. I plugged both in and they both work great. They aren't loud and they are very bright. I am hoping to mount them later today and I'll post pics of the before and after.

kutcha

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
have you put them on your tank yet? do your corals look like they are stretching out for more light or do they look happy?

GN138

Turbo Snail
Yes, 2 lights for $274. That's what I paid. I purchased these only like 4 days ago and received them already. No shipping, no duty or import fees because they ship from inside the US. One of my lights was inspected by customes though, so I don't know what that was about if they ship inside the US.

I have to find a way to hang them on my tank, hope to have them on the tank tonight.

GN138

Turbo Snail
I can't figure out how I can get these above my tank. I can't find any type of bracket that attaches to the wall behind my tank that I can hang these off of and I don't want to hand from the 10' tall ceiling. I just bought a bunch of threaded black PVC stuff and thought it would work but it's flimsy and doesn't fit well. Might be a few more days until I can finish this and show the result.

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Have you thought about temporarily laying the LEDs on egg crate for now? Temp solution IMO. You could use some of the aluminum stock, found at home depot, to create a cradle for the lights and use that cradle to suspend from some where. Just trying to help.

Here is what the tank looked like before...all brown and green. So far i am super happy because I can see all the colors. We'll see how growth is affected. Still waiting form my rainbow nem to come out so I can see its colors too.

[attachment=65680:name]

gajake

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Love thos Chinese lights

I have been using a pair of these lights (each 165 watt w/55 LED's) over my 55G tank. They are about 9" over the tank. Been up for 9 months now and running great, All of the corals love them (GSP, Zoas, leathers, LPS and a few SPS). Coral growth at all levels of the tank is excellent and the price can't be beat. View attachment 16915 Mine are hung from the ceiling but the nice L brackets that are made for hanging baskets would work nicely for hanging on the wall behind tank.

Glad I am not alone! Well, my wife just said "now I want to go buy more corals." Good stuff all around!

Some results already: our mushrooms have grown like 4-5X in size since this morning. Our RBTA loves it and is quite a bit bigger than normal. The candy cane has opened up about 2X in size, frogspawn is open and looking great, zoas are glowing, our fish look amazing and more colorful and there is a dark red colored hard algae, almost like coralline, that has been on one of our rocks since we got it...it glows bright red under all blues.