New mp40 placement

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey all,

Looking for some insight. I am thinking of adding a new MP40 to my system. 150G. I have attached a picture of the tank. The issue that I have is that I think that they want these opposite of each other. Assuming that I did that I will need to cut back my birdsnest to make room for it and it will be blasting directly at it all the time.
View attachment 13993 View attachment 13994

If you look at the side view it would basically be placed just left of where the snail in the middle of the picture is. Not sure how that will effect the birsdnest? Thoughts? Not a whole lot of good places to put that with the rock the way that it is but I am not redoing that as it would require the whole stack to be redone. Maybe go with an MP10?

Thanks!

Adam

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have 2 MP40's in a 90gal, and they are good & bad. I have mine pretty high because of my rock work, and think they look unsightly in the middle of the tank. Wicked undertow!!! I definitely think the birdsnest is going to get abused if you leave it there. The pumps do work better IMO if you have them appose each other for sync or anti sync purposes, but really only for pulse waves. I don't think its mandatory, but it is expensive to test. If you do a 40, you can always tune down there max intensity, but you can also tune down just the 40 and run a 10 at higher power. I run my 40's around 45% through my wxm module, so I feel they probably have more power than needed for a 48in tank, but they can be turned down so I went with the bigger pumps. I'm not sure if this helps, but thought I would give you my experience with them. I love the vortech / apex combo, but my tank is not nearly as packed (compliment) as yours.