New to the SW community

240addiction

Turbo Snail
M.A.S.C Club Member
My wife and I are new to saltwater, but have had a freshwater tank (20 gallons) for a few years. We setup our tank the first of the year and just added four snails yesterday (pretty exciting after almost two months). We are still waiting for our quarantine to cycle before our first fish purchase, but we are getting close. Here are the details on the reef tank.

This is the current setup:
1) 65 gallon DSA reef ready tank (installed in CRT TV nook)
  • 20 lbs of caribsea arag alive fiji pink live sand and 40 lbs Natures Ocean Samoa #0 pink sand
  • 60 lbs of cured Real Reef Rock
  • Aqua Illuminations Hydra LED light with wireless director, planning a second shortly.
  • 2 x 850 GPH Hydor Koralia Evolution Aquarium Circulation Pumps.
2) 20 gallon long sump with custom baffles
  • Order of flow skimmer (low, high, low baffle configuration), refugium (low, high baffle configuration), return pump
  • Sicce Syncra 4.0 pump
  • Vertex Omega 150 Protien skimmer (just sitting in the sump not actually running yet)
  • 19 watt CREE LED light with Home depot clamp on bulb reflector thing (for future use on fuge plants and PH leveling at night)
  • 2 x Colbalt Neo-therm heaters set to 78°F (100 Watt and 150 Watt)
  • Tunze ATO (we are using our own air water ice ro/di system.)

The QT tank is 20 gallons with a HOB filter and smaller Hydor Koralia Evolution circ pump.

Here are some pictures of the tank and sump.

Thanks,

Paul and Jo

240addiction

Turbo Snail
M.A.S.C Club Member
tuanle;295904 said:
Welcome.....and. Btw i love your rock work

Thanks.......the wife and I are actually the most indecisive none creative people ever. We thought it looked bad/were not sure what to do. We see other tanks and always think they look better.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
:welcome:

240addiction

Turbo Snail
M.A.S.C Club Member
jahmic;296120 said:
Snails after 2 months? Still cycling the QT??

Bravo on the patience! Welcome aboard.
Sorry just saw this. Yes, we did add a few corals from reef stock. Oddly enough the QT tank won't cycle. Ammonia went up and peaked and came down, the nitrites won't drop though like everyone says. Any advice on this?