night lighting question

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Is there a benefit to having blues on all night (at 1%)? I have my Apex set to shut my Maxspect Razor R420R completely off from 2am-5am (this fixture is my only light for the tank). Before it shuts off it ramps down to 0% white/1% blue and it ramps up from 0% white/1% blue in the morning. I figure that even though the LED would use a minuscule amount of energy to run the 1% blue for those 3 hours each night it is probably good to give the light time completely shut off. Is there merit to this logic, or is there a reason I should be giving the coral the 1% blue all night?

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
The low light level wont do anything to help coral growth. Most people use moonlighting simply to extend the viewing hours of the tank without exceeding natural daylight hours.

ayaws

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Interesting article. I purchased a Neptune LSM to do night duty as I switch back to MH from LED. Reasonably cost effective and has the all-important APEX control.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
CRW Reef;342938 said:
interesting read on natural moon light and its relationship to coral and fish spawning

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/7/lighting
I have read that, however I have read from other sources that lighting alone without flow triggers can induce spawning events in fish, but rarely in corals. It seems corals require a certain match of tide timing along with the right lighting to trigger a spawn. The apex code to do that is tremendously complex and I gave up trying to find a way for them to line up.

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Interesting article. Thanks for sharing. So I guess I shouldn't be too worried either way about the light being on or off from a physiological standpoint, but what about from a technical standpoint? Will it make a difference either way for the LED fixture to be on all the time, or off for a few hours?

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Nothing to back this up, but I would assume that since most bulbs, LEDs included, have a certain number of hours they will live for, that any hours you let them be off would extend their overall lifespan.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
SynDen;342965 said:
Nothing to back this up, but I would assume that since most bulbs, LEDs included, have a certain number of hours they will live for, that any hours you let them be off would extend their overall lifespan.
True. Although the MTBF at 1% is very different than 100%. If the light is run for 12 hours a day at 100% and its MTBF is 25,000 hours, it would likely last 6 years if run at 100% and off for 12 hours, vs around 5 years and 11 months for 12 hours at 100% and 12 hours at 1%

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
zombie;342968 said:
True. Although the MTBF at 1% is very different than 100%. If the light is run for 12 hours a day at 100% and its MTBF is 25,000 hours, it would likely last 6 years if run at 100% and off for 12 hours, vs around 5 years and 11 months for 12 hours at 100% and 12 hours at 1%
Cool, so not much of a difference there. Does turning the lights on and off each day create a higher chance of something failing within the unit vs leaving it on all the time at some power level?

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Not much of a difference when it turns on or off at 1%. That only makes a real difference on things like non-dimmable lights that are only "full on" or off. In that case, there is arcing that can prematurely wear out internal components when it switches on or off. At 1% intensity, that wear is incredibly low since the change in current from off to on is very small.

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
zombie;342971 said:
Not much of a difference when it turns on or off at 1%. That only makes a real difference on things like non-dimmable lights that are only "full on" or off. In that case, there is arcing that can prematurely wear out internal components when it switches on or off. At 1% intensity, that wear is incredibly low since the change in current from off to on is very small.
cool. thanks