Overflow Question

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Alright, so Ive been playing with the overflow on my tank trying to quite it down. Ive done everything, drilled holes in numorus caps, made an air valve for it, I cannot get the thing to be fully quite. Ive got it dialed in now where its fairly quite, but then about once a minute it dumps water down the return and I get a loud gurggling noise, similiar to a toilet flushing It does not bother me in the least as Im used that noise, but my female friend does not appreciate it when we are trying to relax and watch movies, and it drives my dad absolutly nuts since hes been staying with me since his surgery, I guess I have to appease my guests now! LOL

What can I do to quite this up? This is my first internal overflow so Im not sure where to go from here and any suggesitons would be great.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Alright, your talking foriegn here Chad, remember this is my first internal overflow. WTF is a durso? IM assuing this is the pipe above the bulkhead? Bulkhead is 1 3/4", its the biggest I could fit. The pipe above (the durso??) slips into the bulhead from the top, I think this is 1", maybe 1 1/2". Form the bottom the bulkhead goes into the same size tube, this is not PVC, its the equvilent to dishwasher hosing.

Im gonna have to double check these sizes as Im not 100% sure, I do know the bulk head is 1 3/4" and all pipes and tubing fit perfectly with the bulk head.

God, feel like such a noob right now! LOL

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Is the overflow pipe in the sump above or below the water? Also holes drilled in the side of the elbow helps. Ill get a picture of mine they are just a lot bigger

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Over flow tube on sump side is above the water, dumps into a filter sock.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Bajamike;279502 said:
Is the overflow pipe in the sump above or below the water? Also holes drilled in the side of the elbow helps. Ill get a picture of mine they are just a lot bigger
This is me... NOT SAYING A WORD about the size of your pipe!

mathewkofalk

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I stuck a small piece os sponge into to hole drilled into the cap on the durso in mine and it made a huge difference.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Also is this a new or used tank? What size tank? Single or dual overflow? That restrictor is very important to the quietness of a durso without it you will get trapped bubbles hence the toilet flush. hth

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Bajamike;279505 said:

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
Interesting, yours does not have the cap like mine does.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
FinsUp!;279504 said:
This is me... NOT SAYING A WORD about the size of your pipe!
Sounds like CIndy is covering up for something. LMAO, couldnt resist!!

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Off The Deep End;279513 said:
Go here http://www.dursostandpipes.com/make-your-own-diy?start=3 Make sure your durso has the restrictor #4 or it will flush like a toilet. HTH
WOW, mine looks nothing like this, well it looks like this, but does not have all the parts and fittings like this does. Mine is literally a straight piece of PVC from the bulkhead to the elbow, I will build one of these and see how it works

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ReefCheif;279633 said:
WOW, mine looks nothing like this, well it looks like this, but does not have all the parts and fittings like this does. Mine is literally a straight piece of PVC from the bulkhead to the elbow, I will build one of these and see how it works
That's your problem, it MUST have the reduser or it will flush.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Off The Deep End;279635 said:
That's your problem, it MUST have the reduser or it will flush.
Right on, I appreciate your insight, Ill build one this weekend and see how it turns out. If I build it as shown I will then need to adjust the size of the vent hole as per my flow, am I correct here? SHould I start wiht a very small hole and go bigger? Ive gone through like 8 caps trying to get it right, now that I know the issue Id like to only have to buy one more cap. LOL

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just remember whatever your height is at the elbow is going to be your water level in your overflow so you will have to cut your current pipe down shorter. This also turns your overflow into a mini sump and can house cheato and liverock for more nutrient export. hth

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ReefCheif;279638 said:
Right on, I appreciate your insight, Ill build one this weekend and see how it turns out. If I build it as shown I will then need to adjust the size of the vent hole as per my flow, am I correct here? SHould I start wiht a very small hole and go bigger? Ive gone through like 8 caps trying to get it right, now that I know the issue Id like to only have to buy one more cap. LOL
After you build and install it try one of the caps you already have, in my experience when built properly the airhole size does NOT have to be perfect as long as air can pass through it(clean it regularly as salt creep can form and block airflow).

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Thanks again, youve been a tremendous help