pc v.s t5 lighting?

Dr.DiSilicate

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
T5 is much better IMHO. Pc's have faded in popularity as they under perform.

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
55g Breeder? Dimensions? If its a 48" Long tank and you wanted both fish and corals i would do a T5 unit with at least 4 bulbs if not 6. Aquaticlife has a nice all in one unit with integrated timers.

V

scotty b

Butterfly Fish
38''l x 134'' wide x 20'' tall
i am fine with the results from my 2 65w pc bulbs , would 2 60w t5 bulbs yield the same as the pc bulbs or would i need more or less to get the same results ?

Dr.DiSilicate

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
You'd need 36" bulbs for your tank. I'd say that a 4 bulb fixture would do nicely over that tank. The 3 foot bulbs are like 39 watts each. The great thing about t5 lighting is the color combinations you can choose. if you are needing to replace bulbs I'd really think about upgrading, you will be happy with the results. Be sure to use ati or geissemann bulbs for the best results.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
PCs are fine lights, but they require too much wattage for the amount of output that you get - if you use enough of them, you will get good results. If you use a good reflector on them, you can double their output, but they typically don't have good reflectors. Also, the actinic is terrible, IMO, with PCs.

If you are happy with them, the keep them. I would say that a pair of T5 would give you the same results, but don't change just for change's sake IMO.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
jda123;296469 said:
PCs are fine lights, but they require too much wattage for the amount of output that you get - if you use enough of them, you will get good results. If you use a good reflector on them, you can double their output, but they typically don't have good reflectors. Also, the actinic is terrible, IMO, with PCs.

If you are happy with them, the keep them. I would say that a pair of T5 would give you the same results, but don't change just for change's sake IMO.
Hands down t5 will out perform a power compact. Total light directed into the aquarium along with spectrum.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I went back to T5 from LEDs and Ill probably never switch again. I like the adjustability of being able to change bulbs for spectrum change and such. I run a 6 bulb T5 over my 75gal and have been very happy with the results since switching.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Ya I run a 4 bulb t5 on my 75 and it does great, although thinking very seriously of upgrading to a 6 bulb light

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
ya I was just looking at those, thank you for the suggestion. just the reflectors can be clipped on to the existing lights inside the fixture yes? If so that is a great option, 22 dollars per reflector or about 90 for all 4 is certainly alot cheaper then buying a new 6 bulb setup.Think I may add another fan too to help keep the lights at a more optimal temp as well

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Andrew_bram;296739 said:
Those reflectors are intense
Sweet! I look forward to seeing them in action, certainly cant be worse then the single reflector the fixture has in it now.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
SynDen;296741 said:
Sweet! I look forward to seeing them in action, certainly cant be worse then the single reflector the fixture has in it now.
You better shorten light cycle. These reflectors will more than double your output.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Will do, thanks!