Pictures of ugly flatworms, big, big ones

I just found a huge, 4-5 inch long, by 1/3 inch wide, I think flatworm in my daughter's tank. My laptop is in the shop. I am on her very new computer so may have to set up a email account before I can try to post pictures. I've been loosing things in her tank that don't add up. Can flatworms kill cleaner shrimp; stars? I had two mullosks die yesterday and have been suspicious of anthopods as we had a ton of them (I don't know what they like to eat). I would like to think I scooped up a mantis shrimp, but it's not, at least I'm 90 percent certain of it. Sorry to not have a "pic" to post right away, but I'm so grossed out. It has to be a flatworm, very flat, long and UGLY. Not my april fools joke. I do wonder if (please furnish the contact information again) about the place in Loveland that can do a complete water analysis; why we are loosing things in the tank that make no sense such as the cleaner shrimp/ star, and mullosks.All the water parameters are perfect. Bought new test kits and a new salinty test recently. Olivia's mom

Rebel

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
The only flatworms I have experience with, and the only flatworms I have heard of or seen, are about an eighth inch long and a ruddy brownish color. As far as I know, flatworms do not get "inches" long nor are they predatory.

I am certainly no expert on the many thousands of different organisms in our tanks, but it sounds like you have a different type of worm that may happen to appear flat. There are several varieties of predatory worms, and I am not the one to help you id it. Try google search or even an RC search for predator worms and seek pictures. Good luck--it's no fun hunting what appears to be one animal (like a worm) and praying there are not dozens in there.

JW

Not at all like the first, much more like the second. Solid, wormish color, wider and white legs, flat. I do have pictures on my cell phone. Not feeling well, so not remembering how to send them to this site. I am on my daughter's new computer too. I'm talking a big, worm 4 -5 inches and 1/8-3/8 "wide, ugly sucker. Cut it in half digging it out of the tank and both are still alive in the bucket.Yucko!

rmougey

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Called a fireworm, one of the predatory segmented worms. Likes to munch on soft tissue animals but not a concern for your shrimp or fish. These worms can grow quite large andvtheir bristles can be painful.

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
They are good detritivors, and if the population is kept in check, they are a beneficial part of a reef environment, +1^^^^do not touch these worms!!! The bristles are like fiberglass splinters.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you do touch them,
The two most effective ways of removing most of the bristles are:
1) soak the affected area in pure vinegar for about five minutes
2) use a piece of duct tape to remove them.

I've used both methods and both work well. The area will still be inflamed but it will help :)

Yes it's the bristleworm/fireworm. I used a plastic cup and scooped it out. Had not seen it before yesterday. I do wonder if it was eating things. My serpent star; cleaner shrimp--if he was in a middle of a molt; two mullosks. No rhyme or reason. I did dip all the rock in coral x or whatever I used a month ago to see if a crab or mantis was the culprit. All I succeeded in doing was to kill many anthopods. I had way lots of the anthopods. What do they eat by the way? Detritius? I've contemplated getting a night feeding fish for that reason. Is there such a thing? Scooter blenny? They don't seem to be active at night.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
How long did you acclimate the animals that died?

Stars, shrimp, snails, etc. need a long, slow acclimation time.