Planet Aquariums 75 Gallon rimless build

it has been twenty some odd days since i had brought home my Planet Aquariums 75 gallon rimless tank from reef stock, and i am glad to say that it is finally running. it currently has 50 lbs of real reef rock, and 40 lbs of natures ocean sand. I am experimenting with a product by Red Sea called Reef Mature Pro kit. The kit contains two different kinds of beneficial bacteria, NO3-PO4X, and a calcium supplement to promote coraline algae growth. It says that my levels should be stable within 21 days, but i hope it is sooner than that. all of my fish from my old tank are crammed in my 29 gallon QT tank at the moment. i will keep you guys updated on how this product works to kick start the nitrogen cycle, and if it is worth the money.

Hey tang...
Have you ever thought about running this tank as a freshwater tank? I heard the rimless tanks are much better suited for a freshwater community. What are your thoughts on that?

you know, that had never crossed my mind! what are your thoughts on what i should throw in there? i was thinking about maybe 3 or 4 arowanas, some neon tetras, and some victorian cichlids.. maybe try to acclimate a moorish idol and a gold flake angel to fresh water. does that sound like a reasonable community??

Tang fanatic...
I do not believe your said fish would acclimate very well to a fresh water community. Although maybe with some brackish experience you can help create this environment. I would be curious to see how the experiment goes. I do not think your arowana would get along with tetras. I think that they might get eaten.
I was thinking box turtles and tadpoles. A couple nice pieces of driftwood and some potted plants and I think you really have something. Don;t be afraid to chase your dreams. AMERICA!

MikeM;237295 said:
Tang fanatic...
I do not believe your said fish would acclimate very well to a fresh water community. Although maybe with some brackish experience you can help create this environment. I would be curious to see how the experiment goes. I do not think your arowana would get along with tetras. I think that they might get eaten.
I was thinking box turtles and tadpoles. A couple nice pieces of driftwood and some potted plants and I think you really have something. Don;t be afraid to chase your dreams. AMERICA!
i appreciate the ideas sir. but i do think i will be able to "Chase my dreams" and acclimate the said marine fish to tropical fish. there is this kid who practically lives at aquamart who claims that he has trained his puffers and angles to be reef safe. im pretty sure the same concepts apply. he also claims that he acclimated a molly to saltwater, so im feeling pretty confident.. also there is a fellow named ibrahim who was once a saudiarabian.. he is now an american. i believe that it is the same concept..

ialtalal

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Planet Aquariums 75 Gallon rimless build

Why not tang? Like mike said chase your dreams no risk no rewards. If you r short on cichlids let me know I will be happy to supply with some frogs may be since you were thinking planted. Did you consider may be using a mountain Dew 12 pack boxes as decorations for the your Cichlids to hide in? Please ask if you have any questions man we r only here to help

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Dear Tang Fanatic,

Yes I will give my tank a bang, and yes I will add a tang. Thank you for the suggestion.

With respect to your experiment I would like to suggest you add some sea monkeys to the mix. I have heard are like sirens of the freshwater. Further have you considered a Sponge Bob Themed tank? Very classy, and yet whimsical at the same time. Did you know that Aquamart has baby moorish idols?
[attachment=64140:name]

Perhaps you could help tuna develop a breathing apparatus so that they could learn to walk on land and run recon. In an hour - hour 45 they could develop a beachhead, and attack lions.

Tang fanatic,
I have heard such rumors of a "fish whisperer" that ventures to LFS. Although I have not learned the ways of this specific individual, I do hope to do so one day. I am going to approach Chad and ask him if he would be interested in having him as a guest speaker for a MASC meeting.
Dr. Schlegs...you have some wonderful creative genes. Although I agree with your ideas for tank concepts, I believe that tang fanatic should go with a "Star Wars" theme. If you can recreate the "Battle for Endor" scene, the biker scouts really make the overall decor pop. I have attached a photo to get the creative juices flowing. This is the future of tanks. Get on the bandwagon NOW!
[attachment=64141:name]

Tang Fanatic,
Are you afraid that having 5 posts in one day will cause the MASC servers to crash? I suggest you take it slow and let the server warm up before you red-line it.

Perhaps a Mario themed tank:
[attachment=64142:name]

all of you have terrific ideas! but i was thinking something along the lines of basing my tank after the dentist's tank in finding nemo.
D. Schlegs.... im sorry, ill try to slow down.. [attachment=64144:name]

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Any updated on this setup?

I recently came across a Planet Aquarium tank, and am trying to get some more info on them. I'm considering their rimless setup.

I am absolutely happy with the system. The only problem I had was the gurgling of the overflow.. But a sponge silences it nicely. I run a 30 gallon sump refugium with a eshopps s120 skimmer.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
You have their funky hang off the back overflow and return correct?

Also, matching stand, or someone elses?

kmellon

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey Tang Fanatic,

How was your experience with the Red Sea Reef Mature kit? I liked the idea, but was extreamly disapointed with their lack of front end information and direction. The kit doesn't seem to be designed for a specific size of tank in mind or at least it didn't come out and say so in the documentation or on reseller information post. If i did my calculations correctly, I would have needed 3 kits to complete the process recommended for my 120. I hope you had better success.

Yes it is the on back overflow/ return box, and I have the planet aquariums stand as well.were you looking at the cube aquariums, or a long? The cubes have a deeper overflow box making the much quieter

Hey kmellon,
i had the same results as you. I ran out of all the additives before I was supposed to.. I didn't see the cycle go any faster than a normal natural cycle either. I personally found that the directions made sense, however I did not follow along with their water change schedule. I am glad that someone also had the poor results I did. If I didn't get the pack for free I would want my money back

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yes. They are checking if they make a 100 gallon as well, seems to be no website for Planet Aquarium unfortunately...