Probe placement?

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a three chamber sumo. Chamber 1 is the drain from the dt and skimmer section, chamber 2 is the refuge, chamber 3 is the return.
Which chamber should I place my temp probe and which chamber should I place my heaters?

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have my heater in the first chamber of my sump, and my temp probe in the overflow of the DT. I prefer to have the probe ahead of the heater.

Dr.DiSilicate

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I agree. Have the probe ahead of the heater as water flows thru the system. At least in a different spot. Make sure that you have good water movement around both of the heaters as well as the probe.

On a side note, I like to have two heaters that are a bit undersized. If one goes nuts, even with a controller, you still will not cook corals. If one breaks, and they will, the other can kinda keep up with demand.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dr.HarlemTutu;353524 said:
On a side note, I like to have two heaters that are a bit undersized. If one goes nuts, even with a controller, you still will not cook corals. If one breaks, and they will, the other can kinda keep up with demand.
I put two 150w heaters that r suctioned to the first baffle. Temp probe is on the tank wall.