1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

Proper Introduction, Loveland reefer

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Thomas Doty, Nov 22, 2021.

1. Thomas Doty

Thomas Doty Copepod

Since I started my reef tank 2? years ago the masc community has been a great resource to help get me through the ups and downs of the hobby, so thank you all. My tank is a 4'*2'*2' display with a 30 gal sump. I have it stocked as a mixed reef, and now that's its aged I'm trying to fill it with sps. My live stock includes 2 oscilarius l, fox face lo, starry blenny, shark nose goby, royal gramma, 3 bangai cardinals, cleaner shrimp, 2 conch, 2 turbo, 2 periscope snails, and 8 bumblebee snails. I nuked everything a year ago with improper vibrant dosing/ peppermint shrimp rampage, but everything is pretty stable now. I have my system set up to be super low maintenence, socks as needed, ato with 40 gal Reservoir, auto dosing 2 part, and dry skimming. I run carbon gfo as needed. The tank runs 4 ppm nitrate,.08 ppm phosphate, 7 alk, 300 CA, 1392 MG. I'm trying to slowly increase alk and CA. I'm also currently trying to manage cyano, hydroids, aptasia, and blue clove polyps. All my corals are growing and happy except my green toadstool leathers. They have all been closed for 3+ months now. Any way, thanks again to everyone. If anyone has suggestions or critiques, please let me know what you think. My goal is to have a healthy mixed reef that can be maintained monthly or remotely. 20211122_155739.jpg 20211122_155739.jpg 20211122_155744.jpg 20211122_155752.jpg 20211122_155758.jpg 20211119_174044.jpg

neil82 and Angelo like this.
  2. neil82

neil82 Sardine M.A.S.C Club Member

Welcome! Thanks for sharing.

Thomas Doty likes this.
  3. SynDen

SynDen Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

Welcome! Good start on a reef tank.
    I will say though before you go spending money on a bunch of SPS, you should get rid of the cloves, those things will cover everything eventually, and I mean everything. Almost nothing will stop them from spreading, so you either need to resign to having a clove tank, which can be pretty, or you will need to eradicate them all together

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
  4. Thomas Doty

Thomas Doty Copepod

Thanks! Yeah I hate the cloves. I know it's gonna be a big project, so I've been putting it off. I read a thread on using fluconazole, but don't want to kill my inverts and gsp. At this point is my only option fragging the pavona and turbinaria from the rock and the sterilizing it? Its also on my rock that's pretty encrusted by psammocora which. The sps surrounded by it don't seem too bothered btw, is that normal?

5. SynDen

SynDen Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

If you do want to get rid of it, the only way really is fluconazole, because its really the only way to ensure you get 100% of it. Even if you remove the rocks its on, it only takes one little polyp hiding somewhere in the tank and it will invade all over again. So many people take out the inverts, and gsp, if you want to keep it, and put in a temp tank while you do the treatment.
    That being said clove tanks can actually be quite pretty. They have good color and and decent motion, I just wouldn't go putting any expensive sticks in it unless you want them covered over by the cloves.
    If it was me I might just let the cloves take over that tank, and then setup a different tank for sps instead.