Pump for my skimmer

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
So currently on my Precision Marine Bullet 3 I am running a Quiet One 5000 rated at 1400 gph. The recommended pump is an Iwaki 70 at 1500 gph. So I'm not too far off. I didn't like the Iwaki since it made my classroom sound like a machine shop. I do have a Reeflo Snapper to back up my Dart as a return but was considering using it on the skimmer could I do that? The snapper does have much higher gph up to 2600 gph. I've been wanting to get the skimmer out of the sump and this would do just that.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
It's a 360 gallon that measures 6' x 4' x 2' and is viewable on three sides. The kids love and the parents think I'm crazy!

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Get the Panworld, GenX or Mak version of that Iwaki pump. They can be quieter if they don't have fans. You won't likely care for how the skimmer performs without a true pressure rated pump on it. Mag 18 would be better than the Reeflo, IMO.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
jda123;322043 said:
Get the Panworld, GenX or Mak version of that Iwaki pump. They can be quieter if they don't have fans. You won't likely care for how the skimmer performs without a true pressure rated pump on it. Mag 18 would be better than the Reeflo, IMO.
That was what I was worried about but I thought since I see them on some of the other big Beckett style skimmers I thought I would ask to see what people think. I've also noticed you're not a fan of Reeflo but the Dart I have has been running strong for a year. Thanks to your warnings I check it regularly! I've been keeping my eyes out for a reasonably priced pump.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I just got one of those big beckets. It came with a Dart/Snapper Hybrid which I will not use. I also just bought a Panworld to run it with since I think that some of the reasons that the previous owners were not happy was because it did not have the right pump.

It it totally true that I am not a huge fan of ReeFlo pump. I have owned 10-12 of them and not a single one every lasted more than 2 years without needing a seal or a motor. However, this has nothing to do with the brand - there is a reason that the manufacturers recommend what they do... it matters, IMO.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
jda123;322046 said:
I just got one of those big beckets. It came with a Dart/Snapper Hybrid which I will not use. I also just bought a Panworld to run it with since I think that some of the reasons that the previous owners were not happy was because it did not have the right pump.

It it totally true that I am not a huge fan of ReeFlo pump. I have owned 10-12 of them and not a single one every lasted more than 2 years without needing a seal or a motor. However, this has nothing to do with the brand - there is a reason that the manufacturers recommend what they do... it matters, IMO.
I guess I missed the fine print. What does Reeflo recommend?

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I misunderstood. I thought that you meant Reeflo recommended some kind of maintenance to make them last.