Question on Apex wireless setup

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Planning on getting a controller for the new build, and was leaning toward an Apex mainly based on the fact that it has a built in function that allows access via wireless when I'm away from home. I plan on picking up a Radion for the tank, so I won't be using a controller for my lights and powerheads; all I would need to hook up and run with the controller would be: heaters, return, closed loop pump, skimmer, fuge light, temp, pH, and ATO. Since I only need basic controls, the only real bonus I see with the Apex over a Reefkeeper would be the built in wireless access...and I'm not even sure that I can connect properly at my home.

My computer connects to a wireless connection provided by my friend/landlord that lives in the main house on the same property. The wireless router at his place is close enough that I rarely have connection issues with my computer via WiFi, so it's reliable. Question is, will I even be able to setup the Apex without plugging directly into the main router at his place? That wouldn't be out of the question, I suppose...but I'd rather not have to ask, especially if there's any chance of me having to make multiple trips over there while I own the controller due to issues with IP addresses changing or whatever other unforeseen issues come up.

If I can pick up a gaming adapter, plug it in at my place and connect that way to setup the controller...then I'll probably pull the trigger on the Apex. But, if wireless connectivity is going to be a hassle, I might just save some coin and go with a ReefKeeper; I don't really travel enough to say that having that level of access to monitor my tank is a huge priority.

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Apex is awesome I have a rke on the 90 and prefer the apex. Total control of my tank without bring there is great.

You do have to plug into the router the first fine to do the initial setup. You use a ddns to update the ip so that shouldn't be an issue for u. Once the initial setup is done there should never be a reason to get to the router again. I like the fact I can change code etc etc right from my phone. My rke I have to pull the comp out which to me is a pain lol.

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Question on Apex wireless setup

Shortened version, yes you can use a gaming Adapter to connect the apex via a wireless network. (that's how mine is setup) you will have to assign a static ip address to it and open ports on the router to see it from out side the network. You will have to sign up for a ddns service (I use no-ip) so that allows you to automatically update your wan ip address.

Sent from Earth

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
hmmm...about half of that went over my head, lol.

Sounds like I can get away with plugging it into the router once and not having issues after that, but I'll probably need a hand when the time comes. ddns, IPs, ports...I'm not completely in the dark, but am usually left scratching my head on stuff that's not plug-and-play when it comes to setting up networks.

Thanks for the input guys, I'll probably save up some cash and add the Apex later on.

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Are you going to be running a cat5 ethernet cable to it? You either have to have it connected to your router at all times via hardwire or gaming Adapter. Now you don't have to go through all that hassle if you don't want to use it away from home.

Sent from Earth

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Also go apex. I had both and really liked the apex over my reefkeeper. I had problems with my reefkeeper and halides

Sent from Earth

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok I ordered the Apex and it should be here next weekend, if I'm lucky. I'm not in any hurry to get this hooked up to the internet, but just so I can plan ahead...

What I'd like to do is just get the Apex running on the tank initially without any wireless connectivity, which means running all of my cables and mounting the controller inside a cabinet and just getting things going. If I understand correctly, I can then pick up a gaming adapter at my convenience, set that up by synching with the router, and then connect the Apex to the gaming adapter, correct? Or will I have to pull the controller from the cabinet and bring it to the router anyway to get this hooked up with a gaming adapter properly?

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Question on Apex wireless setup

The gamer adaptor needs a direct connection to router the first time that's all. Than plug into the apex and configure and you will be good a little more complicated than that but that's the jist

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Are you planning on running an ethernet cable from your router to your apex until you get a wirless connection?

sent from you home

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
yea...I figured the setup is a little more complicated than just plug it in and go, lol.

When plugging the gaming adapter in to the router initially, do I need access to the computer that's directly connected to the router as well? Was hoping that I could manually synch the gaming adapter to the router from my own computer, as it has a wireless card and is already connected to the network. Would connecting the gaming adapter to my networked PC via an ethernet cable not be an option to get the gaming adapter online?

PS - I swear I'm not stealing internet! :p Would just rather minimize the inconvenience to my friend in getting all this setup...free internet is a big enough favor for me :)

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Unless your gaming adapter has wps (push button sync) or some variant than yes it needs to be connected to the router to program it.

sent from you home

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Cool thanks. I'll check out his router to see if it's WPS compatible and go from there.

Appreciate the help guys.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Picked up a network extender rather than a gaming adapter...worked out well since I now have a better wireless signal in my home. The Apex is hardwired to the network extender via an ethernet cable, and I'm able to access the Apex on my computer.

edit: nevermind...I'm throwing in the towel on connecting remotely, it's way too much of a headache. I ran an /ipconfig command and confirmed my router's IP address...but am unable to pull up the configuration menu by typing that address into my browser. Not sure what the issue is, but this is more work than I care to tackle, lol.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Honestly, I feel like it may be a lost cause, lol. I'm wondering if, for some reason, I can't access the router's settings via a wireless connection and would have to be hardwired in...is that a possibility? Let me know what you think...I can copy and paste the output I got for the /ipconfig command and see if we can get anywhere, but I was pretty discouraged when I couldn't get past one of the first couple of steps.

samindenver

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I just got a Apex a week ago and also struggled for awhile. Can you connect locally? If you can but can't connect remotely, you need to set up "ip forwarding" on your friends modem/router. I'd be glad to help set it up if you'd like.

By the way, love my Apex.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Yea...I can connect locally but not remotely. I do understand that I have to setup IP forwarding, but I think that's where I'm going to run into problems.

I don't have direct access to his router...I utilize the password to connect to his router via a wireless network. It seems like his router must have a security feature that prevents wireless access to his router's configuration menu...because typing the router's IP address into a browser isn't working. Unfortunately I have a desktop...so stopping over his place to plug directly into the router with a laptop to see if that works isn't an option. Also...his laptop is a MAC and connects via wireless as well...no hardlining to the router to test that theory is possible, from what I can tell.

I dunno if there's a workaround...or if I'm just missing something...but if you have any ideas let me know. I did try bypassing my network extender and connecting directly to his wireless network with my desktop, and that made no difference in accessing his router to setup port forwarding. :/