R2 Solutions Extreme LED to supplement JBJ Cubey

Hello all,
It's been awhile since I've been active because I had gotten out of the hobby for awhile. Well, I couldn't stay away for too long so I picked up a JBJ Cubey and I am considering some lighting addition. The stock light doesn't quite reach the front as well as it does the back and the color isn't quite as blue as I like. So, I am thinking of adding something like this at the front:

http://www.marinedepot.com/R2_Solut...quariums-R2_Solutions-RM1111-FILTFIML-vi.html

I am worried that it is going to be way too much light. I am also unsure if this light will add any useful PAR light as I want to put some zoas on the sand in the front of the tank.

Thoughts on this?

Any other suggestions to light the front couple of inches?

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think that kit would be overkill for the cubey (2 gals of water). I would suggest doing something with some 1 watt LEDs, off of a cell phone charger. Kinda like Kris (Kalgra/Thunder...) did for his scrubber.

If you do change it out, I would also suggest cutting the lid for a fan.

I'm not sure, but I think I have a fan I can give you.

I also have a Mean Well ELN-60-27P dimmable driver that I would sell for $20.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
asn-naso;285848 said:
I think that kit would be overkill for the cubey (2 gals of water). I would suggest doing something with some 1 watt LEDs, off of a cell phone charger. Kinda like Kris (Kalgra/Thunder...) did for his scrubber.

Yah a little overkill that kit would have to be ran at 400mA-500mA at most but it would work.

asn-naso;285848 said:

Where could I get some good 1 watt LED's? I don't know much about DIY LED's but I will start looking into it.

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
You can get 10 x 1w blue 460-475nw for $4 shipped off eBay, I can help you with building an led for inexpensive that would supplement or spend a few dollars more and make it light your whole tank.

Sent from my SCH-R970C using Tapatalk