Raw seafood from King Soopers

I was in King Soopers today and picked up some 'fresh' raw shrimp and a raw scallop, mostly for a large RBTA I have had for about a month. On the little sign in the seafood case for the shrimp it said 'previously frozen'.

Any idea if that would indicate if salt or a preservative had been added to the shrimp or scallop?

If so, Would that be detrimental to anything that ate it?

I have been feeding it bits of krill, but there's quite a bit of waste it spits out with those...probably the exoskeleton parts...

Thoughts?

ff

Thanks H.

Do u buy the raw, frozen, bagged Kroger shrimp?

I looked at those and ingredients included salt and some preservative, so I got a few single shrimp from the fresh case display.

But, I wonder if they just thaw the bags of what they sell in the freezer case, and put it in the fresh case, since the sign does say 'previously frozen'...

a

alindell21

Cleaner Shrimp
Dont know about preservatives, but just get raw shrimp, wash it with rodi and feed very small pieces as nems will spit out big stuff. I have read they can not digest bigg pieces so very small bits.

I would be a little wary on the scallops unless they say dry packed. If its dry packed its just put on ice and shipped without chemical additives. But if is wet packed (most are these days) they spray it with sodium tripolyphosphate, which causes it to retain water. Have no clue if that would have a detrimental effect on your aquarium life.

Interesting tidbit on that... sodium tripolyphosphate kills the flavor, and because it retains water it increases water weight. So when you buy them wet packed you ended up paying more for an inferior flavored seafood. :D