Reactors

Ok so I dont know what I need for reactors. The tank that I am preparing for in the future will have some sort of reactor. Preferably I want to reduce Nitrates and phosphates, but do I really need a biopellet reactor. My plan was going the cheaper way with BRS dual reactor with carbon and GFO to pretty the tank and reduce algae with instead of a biopellet reactor just putting a mesh bag of ceramic bio balls for bacteria to take place and reduce nitrates. Do i really need the biopellet reactor, whats more important, can I get by with just doing the BRS dual reactor and the mesh bag of bio balls? This will go on a SPS dominant system.

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have seen many successful sps tanks run without a bio pellet reactor, so I would say that it is by no means necessary.

bathomassr

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have had a bio pellet reactor for several months now and can't detect any real difference between now and before. Also, recommend against using BRS dual reactor. I have one and wish I had purchased 2 singles. The dual reactor is hard to keep adjusted and GFO fines use up the carbon well before its time.

Balz3352

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
bathomassr;636791 said:
I have had a bio pellet reactor for several months now and can't detect any real difference between now and before. Also, recommend against using BRS dual reactor. I have one and wish I had purchased 2 singles. The dual reactor is hard to keep adjusted and GFO fines use up the carbon well before its time.
I diyed my dual into 2 separate. Just takes a couple fittings and turn the reactors 90 degrees

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Bio-pellets only really help to reduce nitrate, not phosphate. If you have nitrate issues in a reef tank after 6 or 9 months, then you have way-big problems. Real rock and the sand bed can handle the nitrates with ease. Even if you do want to organic carbon later, dosing sugar, vodka or vinegar is quite easy.

You won't even need GFO for quite some time... you need to let the tank fully cycle (through NO3 reduction on it's own) before you jack with most of this.

Heavy, heavy skimming, routine water changes and a fuge can get you most of the way there and is enough for a lot of people. Avoiding dry or man-made rock and using phosphate-free rock from the pacific as well as real aragonite sand (in tank or remotely) can get you the rest of the way. If after a year, or so, your phosphates are rising, then some GFO might be good.

I don't have an issue with most BRS products, but what they tell you that you need, and don't need, is somewhat reckless and I feel is just an attempt to sell some stuff. I would never recommend biopellets, carbon or GFO on a tank that is not cycled (all the way, not just through nitirite) - you need the bacteria to establish and handle each on their own.

On my SPS tanks, I run 2 good skimmers (two are better than one that is oversized), calcium reactor, sometimes some GAC, 4 or 5 heaters, metal halides and a return pump. If I clean out a bunch of sand, or something, I might drop some GFO on there for a few days, but doubt that I have ever had it on for more than 2 weeks a year.

thanks for the comments, so from the information I received I think that if my tank needs a reactor I would more likely need the 1 reactor GFO after my tank has been established for some time and testing the water to see what I need, and dont use the dual reactor as there are issues with flow and really may not need a bio pellet reactor as it may be useless as long I let the tank cycle monitor it and have good rock and sand to do most of the work with a good skimmer or two to take out the solids. another question is so if I really may not need a biopellet reactor and I plan on using a GFO reactor as I pretty much know that I will get phosphates overtime, but not at first, can the one single reactor from BRS handle or be enough for an 88 or about a 110 gallon tank and then just use a mesh bag for the carbon, and some ceramic bio balls or not not even worry about the bio balls and changing it out every couple weeks?