Red/green "full spectrum" LED?

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have been looking at new LED fixtures and have noticed a lot of these red/green units. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Pack-Col...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item4d093763a6 Now the reviews seem mixed at best, some say that the reds and greens although unusable for coral photosynthesis, provide a visual spectrum that makes corals "pop" with color, much like my use of purple+ in my t-5. Yet others say that the bulbs are not only a waste of time and wattage, but will grow nuisance algae by the boatload. I wanted to know what you guys think about these lights, or am I just better off looking at a traditional royal blue/cool white fixture?

Oh, and I thought I would also add this article to the conversation: http://www.reefbrite.com/benefits-red-green-leds-science-or-hype/

I know I started this same conversation on an old post, but I moved it here to try and get more input :)

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I know there was a recent thread on the dreaded RC site that addressed this a bit that seemed pretty in depth. Reply so subscribes and I'll find thelink when I'm home. (Kinda covers str vs weakness of led spectrum, and where a t5 supplement, esp blue plus is good for certain wavelength.)

As far as red/green in general I do know you need to be pretty conservative. like 4 leds in a 60gallon, and even in a big 120 only 8-10 iirc. Can overpower stuff easily, but does help a lot with pop.

aztecdreams

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member

I bought the Chinese dimmable LEDs with the green/red. Don't see any nuisance algae popping up that I didn't have before

I sure see a lot of these different colored LEDs showing up on the higher end LED fixtures so im thinking there must be a reason these companies are starting to add them. They seem to add only a couple of the red/green/whatever color LEDs so I think it is all for color pop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Please note: All those chinese fixtures use bridgelux LEDs and worse. Be prepared to have to replace the LEDs every 2-3 years. They have a short lifespan for LEDs.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Also, on the topic of color spectrum. The reds, greens, and cyans can cause nuisance algae. But worth it in coral growth. I combat the algae growth with an algae scrubber in my sump.

aztecdreams

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member

sethsolomon;253604 said:
Also, on the topic of color spectrum. The reds, greens, and cyans can cause nuisance algae. But worth it in coral growth. I combat the algae growth with an algae scrubber in my sump.
I don't have any from my lights

aztecdreams

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member

I have reds and greens and cyans. I also had some Chinese made Taotronics that were already a few years old when I got them. Still going strong

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Taotronics fixtures have some real solid reviews on them... Interesting... Note to self: Do more research into chinese fixtures...

kio707

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member

I have taotronics in my 180g. Love them. Grow sps on the sand bed. I had some I actually dropped in the tank (long story) and they still worked after dried out.

David