red slime algae

Robbiekrause33

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
so i've got alot of red slime algae on my sand bed i'm sure this is a newbe question but how do i get rid of it is there a fish that will eat it or just a cycle. any help is appreciated

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
How long has your tank been up? It's pretty common for it to pop up in a relatively new system. I had a bout early on that came back up after dosing my display tank with interceptor to kill red bugs, which also caused a nutrient spike, and presumably a mini-cycle.

There are multiple methods of getting it under control via dosing or additional filtration, but your best bet for now is probably to just siphon it out with each water change, and/or do small changes intermittently through the week as you siphon it out if it's growing back rapidly.

What do you use for a water source, and have you checked the TDS and/or phosphates for your source water? I had DI resin start to go bad even though my TDS read zero and was getting cyano outbreaks AFTER every water change. Swapped out the resin and it started receding. I've also had luck with a tiger conch eating cyano...but YMMV on that one.

Robbiekrause33

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
its just about 4 months up now and i just use ro water from the LFS but i dont really test any of my water are there any fish that will also pick at it?

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
4 months in...I'd say it's just part of your tank maturing and you should be able to keep it under control by siphoning it off with water changes or as needed.

That being said...it might be worthwhile to invest in an RO/DI so that you can get quality water. I've picked up RO/DI from multiple LFSs, and have had it test anywhere from 8 - 45 ppm...and although your TDS is affected my gas exchange and anything left over in your bucket that was mixed in with the water, that was high enough for me to think twice about what I was doing and get my own filter.

I'd say at least get the TDS of your source water checked. A lot of stores will also test water for you...you can bring in a sample of your tank water or even the RO/DI that you picked up, and get it checked for phosphates, as that's the main contributor to cyano. Figure out how that's getting into your system and you'll have better luck getting it under control. If phosphate is coming in from your source water, you're gonna be chasing your tail trying to get it under control without addressing that issue. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Dbarnes

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would check your source water too, it is likely coming from poor quality R/O water. Do you have a refugium? Run GFO? run a skimmer?do you feed "Fuel" or heavily feed your corals? If so these types of things can have an effect in the cause of cyano. If you water quality of R/O results are clean then i would do a substantial water change maybe 15gal or so and see if you see a sharp decline in the algae. If you do then its coming from your system and you can make adequate adjustments to your feeding schedules and possibly add something like a GFO reactor.

Robbiekrause33

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
i have a fuge and run a skimmer and i do fed semi heavy so i'll just do heavy water changes.
but just to be clear i shouldnt be super worried just do water changes

303travism

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
red slime algae

I agree with the above check quality of RO I was buying RO from Walmart and its not deionized and after I switched to better quality RO and adding conch and better flow everything went away.

303travism

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
red slime algae

Try a conch also they are inexpensive and do a great job off turning sand over.

303travism

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
red slime algae

I had 2 conch's in my 90 and a sand sifting goby and my sand always looked great.