Refugium or Canister Gof for 36 Gallon bowfront Reef System

Hello everyone, I recently got back into the hobby after having to sell my 120 gallon reef system 4 years ago. I found an awesome tank with everything for $100.00 and would like to know what would be best for the filtration. I will do live sand and live rock again and I hope to do led lighting this time. Will the canister filter that came with it be enough to keep my corals happy or should i have a small refugium with a protein skimmer ? My old tank I had a chiller, uv sterilizer, protein skimmer and a wet/dry sump but it was a bigger tank.

Thanks and I'm super excited to get back into the hobby and meet some new hobbyists.

Thanks,
Dustin

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
All depends on what you plan on keeping, I have had great luck running canister filters on smaller systems. By after progressing in the hobbie, if you have the room for a refigum then I'd go that route.

reefmaster719

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Im setting my 36 bowfront reef up this week and I'm plumbing a wet dry filter to it. On my 75 Ive had it up and running with a can filter for over 6months now and no problems. As long as you clean the filter ever 2-4 wks you will be fine. Just get a can filter that has more than 11x the flow rate of you tank. Ex. 36gallons x 11= 350-400 gph. I have had problems with fluvals in the past so go with a better brand. Eheim makes good ones.

thanks for the info. The tank came with a fluval 204 canister that I tested and works. After your info I will look for a used or find a Eheim canister filter. I believe this will be less maintenance than a refugium.

reefmaster719

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Whoooah I didn't say less maintenance. Your gonna be having a lot of algae blooms in the first 3mnths or so. If I had an option I would go with refugium. There kind of noisy but it will make your water way cleaner.

Yes, my bad. Any reef system has maintenance and I had plenty of problems when I had my 120 gallon reef. The first year was hard but regular water changes helped keep in in control for 2 years. I had a wet/dry last time but I really would like to do a refugium this time. I'll keep checking the forums for a used one or build one myself. Thanks for your info.