Replacing MH bulbs

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
So my bulbs are getting to the age where I will need to replace them and when I recently replaced my T-5 bulbs my corals near the top got a little bleached out. I want to avoid this when I replace them. Is there a suggested way to go about the replacement?

Also I was pricing out bulbs and found bargain bulbs on Amazon $17 compared to $50 for a similar product. Reviews were either 5 stars or 1 and the criticism was always the color was off. What do you guys think about this?

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Get 14k phoenix bulbs for your 250w HQIs. None of the other bulbs are quite as good as that bulb.

Also, the $17 bulb you will absolutely have to replace that every 4-6 months to keep the color consistent.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
sethsolomon;340317 said:
Get 14k phoenix bulbs for your 250w HQIs. None of the other bulbs are quite as good as that bulb.

Also, the $17 bulb you will absolutely have to replace that every 4-6 months to keep the color consistent.
I guess if it ain't broke don't fix it!

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I bought the $17 bulbs from Amazon for my 2x250 and the color was way off. It had no blue in it at all. After a week I had an algae bloom to end all algae blooms, my water looked like it came straight out of a pond or something. I'd highly suggest going with a quality proven bulb, like the 14k Phoenix Seth recommended.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
TheRealChrisBrown;340354 said:
I bought the $17 bulbs from Amazon for my 2x250 and the color was way off. It had no blue in it at all. After a week I had an algae bloom to end all algae blooms, my water looked like it came straight out of a pond or something. I'd highly suggest going with a quality proven bulb, like the 14k Phoenix Seth recommended.
All I needed to hear!

Luke.Fraizer

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I was just wondering about this as well. I'm glad I went with the 14k Phoenix after reading this! I was getting a lot of algae with the 10k I had on the tank that were super old, but now it is declining with the 14k. I am loving them.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
So my first question was never answered. When I change my bulbs is there anything special I should do? Do I need to reduce the photo period? Do I need to change anything? Should I change them one at a time and spread it out over time or just change them all at the same time? They don't seem any less intense and the spectrum seems the same visually, but I closing in on 18 months on these bulbs and the hair algae makes me think there has been a color shift.