running a calcium reactor on small tank ?

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
It depends on what you want to do. I would if I was wanting to keep creatures with high calcium demand. I don't like to run tanks without one, but I also don't have anything so small.

There are plenty of ways to get nearly the same thing.

What are you wanting to keep?

scotty b

Butterfly Fish
the reason I ask if I am buying used a set up for a few of its components and was thinking of using the calcium reactor on my 35 gallon tank

wish I could set up the tank but havent the room

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Unless you are growing some good sized sps colonies in the 35g otherwise it would seem fairly pointless to run one. Your 35g is mostly softies right? If so then there is no need for a calc reactor at all. If you have some lps and a few small sps, you could use kalkwasser in top of water to maintian you calc levels, but otherwise I dont think you will need to do that either if it mostly softies

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you have it, I would run it if you are going to be using true coral. The benefits from the extra trace minerals from melting natural media are alone worth it. Keep in mind that clams, snails and coralline use up plenty of calcium, alk, mag, strontium and the like.

If you can otherwise get by with water changes and occasional doses, then forget about it.

scotty b

Butterfly Fish
I am thinking of getting a set up for some of the parts It comes with then running the tank as a freshwater , dose this sound like it would be worth getting even for parts?

100 gallon tall with stand, 2 over flow boxes, 55 gallon acrylic sump, 3 stage ro filter, calcium reactor with co2 tank and regulator, 100+ # of dry rock, 2 30-40 gallon water storage tubs, 2 mh dome lamps , and a 3 or 4 ft tall skimmer

opakapaka

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Lifereef it looks like, they are local too.