Shallow Reef Lighting

I am setting up a 36" x 36" shallow reef tank with a depth of only 8".

My initial thoughts are that I want to do a SPS dominated tank. I was leaning toward halides, specifically Double Ended. With the tank footprint of 6' square, most traditional halide/t5 fixtures will not spread out that far.

Any ideas? My biggest concern is the depth of the tank. I almost assume I will have to go with pendants..........

Thanks.

Mike

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Why not LED's? 2 Kessil's would more than cover that and they're real small LED pendants.

I saw them at AquaMart....$259 a piece. Not sure LED is the best option for SPS...I just got AI Sol's for my 150...no idea yet on growth and color

andyrm66

Butterfly Fish
I've got a 36x36x18 400 watt 10k XM, 800 par on the sand bed, good spread. With 20k MX 125-200 on sandbed. Would probably be perfect for that depth. Looking to sell as I think I might go LED, how soon you looking?

I have the tank, the sump and skimmer and an additional 180g I should have by next weekend. I will be using them together. So in the next couple weeks.

I like the idea of a shallow tank, are going to build a top down viewing box?

With an 8" depth, I would imagine anything over a 200w MH would be overkill. I've seen a lot of SPS tanks with LED's so I dont think theres an issue there, plus most units worth touching allow you adjust your blue and white lights. That way youre not tied to 20k/15k color temps. something to think about.

andyrm66

Butterfly Fish
200 watts would be fine, except when you're trying to do it with one point source of light. You have to raise it 12-18" from the water to get a nice good looking even spread.