Single or double ended halides?

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
So for the 120 I am planning on going with 2-250 watt metal halides and t-5's or LED to supplement.
My question is one type of metal halide better or have more advantages than the other?
I only have used double ended and have no experience with single ended bulbs or mogul base.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm not sure that there is much of an advantage to one or the other. I think it just depends on the color bulb you like and what option you go with there. Only real advantage in my eyes is Single ended and that's only because they are much easier to install with out breaking. I've broken the ceramic ends of a few double ended phoenix bulbs in just the short time I have used MH. The other thing is you don't need to worry about a UV shield with Single ended.

However im not sure either of those advantages would ever sway me from the 14000k phoenix.

Last edited by a moderator:

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Never found a mogul 250 wt I like so I would go with double ends in 250, if it was 400 that is a whole different story.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
That's what I was worried about. I like both 14000K Phoenix and 20000K Hamiltons and those are both double ended. I'll have to keep looking.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
sethsolomon;366511 said:
the 250w HQI's have a higher output than the se bulbs. I vote going 400w SE bulbs.
That's not overkill on a 120?

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
That is what I'm thinking too. I know Seth ran 400's on his 120 though. Now I need to keep my eyes open for low profile 250 HQIs.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
sethsolomon;366522 said:
Naa you only run then for 1/2 the time of 250w halides.
Yeah but you know me I like to run halides for a good 10 hours!

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Not much actually. I was looking at Lemke's set up but they're single ended 250's. His are coming in at 6.5". I think I have about 9" maybe less. The canopy I built for the fresh water and am only using t-5's on that.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I have a Hamilton fixture that is low profile but the reflector is that dimpled stuff and I like shiny ones.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
You will want a 250w se IMO because hqi is to concentrated of light and does not have the spread of se bulbs. I would go with 20k radiums