Skimmer cleaning

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
My skimmer (a Tunze 9004) is about due for a good cleaning. Should the skimmer be on while it is soaking in a bucket? Would this help clean out anything built up in the pump? Also, what ratio of water to vinegar is best? I will thoroughly rinse it before putting it back in the tank.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Been thinking mine is about due for this same treatment, so tagging along

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Not sure if it matters, I usually soak mine, then let it run with the cleaning stuff, then rinse.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I usually wipe the skimmer down as best I can to get all the loose gunk out, then run it in a bucket with hot tap water and vinegar for about 2 hours. Then rinse in RO.

For that HOB skimmer you could probably rig it on a small bucket...I use to use a short 2.5 gal bucket with my HOB and ran 50/50 vinegar to water. Granted, using 1 gal of vinegar for a single cleaning is a lot...but it allowed me to get it done in a couple hours and have everything hooked back up that same day. At lower concentrations of vinegar (~25%) I found that I had to usually run the skimmer overnight for it to come out clean.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I run a day or two, nice overview of the process:

[video=youtube;9pGhGAuVn9E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pGhGAuVn9E&feature=player_embedded[/video]