Skimmer Help

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hello, there and welcome. So i have no idea what im doing when it comes to skimmers. I have a Bubble magus 180ex rated for 260-400 gallon. While my system has bout 220ish total with about 10 fish in it right now & coral w/ minor GHA problem. The skimmer has been running since Aug 2013 so it has to be "broken in" by now.
BM-180EX
Needle wheel protein skimmer
Reactor room: Cone, seamless body (Bubble Magus got the rights to use bodies ATB Skimmers!!!)
Pump: Atman ph4000
Pump power: 110V, 60Hz
Capacbility: 1000-1500L water (260-396gal)
Air intake: 1050L/H
Product size: 280*230*645mm (11.05"x9.05"x25.40")

The manual says the skimmer needs 25-27 cm of water or 9.87- 10.6 inches. i have it at 10 3/8 in with a constant water level.
Also I just took it apart and cleaned it out.

I just dont know what the bubble size should be in the neck.
I just adjusted it from the bubble line being about 1/2 way up the collection cup neck which produced a light green skimmate very watery to where it is now (which i get a darker green but nothing dark).

Is it possible that i just dont have a large enough bio load for it do do its job? Follow up, since it hasnt skimmed i should have enough bio load in the water to at least see something?
So my question is what size bubble should i be looking for and where should they be?

Thanks for all the help

Video or snapshot of my skimmer is below

Video (Google Chrome doesnt like the video)

Or

Snapshot Pic

Last edited by a moderator:
Its probably just low bioload. I have the same thing with my skimmer. Just doesn't pull much out and I have no nitrate or phosphate problems.

If you have low nitrates and no algae problem, then there is nothing to worry about. Something in your system is working right and there is nothing more for your skimmer to do. If you have nitrates or algae, then your skimmer isn't keeping up and you need to worry about tuning it better.

bjackson;285258 said:
If you have low nitrates and no algae problem, then there is nothing to worry about. Something in your system is working right and there is nothing more for your skimmer to do. If you have nitrates or algae, then your skimmer isn't keeping up and you need to worry about tuning it better.
What he said

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well see how my skimmer does. I was gone and my 3 year old dumped half a jar of fish food Pellets and a huge sheet of nori while my wife was home "watching" the kids.

KCCO

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
deboy69;285300 said:
Well see how my skimmer does. I was gone and my 3 year old dumped half a jar of fish food Pellets and a huge sheet of nori while my wife was home "watching" the kids.

KCCO
Ahhh Sheeeeet.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
deboy69;285300 said:

KCCO
Oy... That's just no bueno, no matter how ya slice it! I bet the fish were liking it, tho.

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yes they are. Lol. Yea for little helpers. Except my tank now is so cloudy I can barley see through the sides of it.

KCCO