Skimmer

mathewkofalk

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
So im looking to get a skimmer rated at 400 to 600 gallons where should I be looking I feel like everyone caries reef octopus but they seem a little pricey. Any advise helps and yes I can hard plumb or us an In sump model.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

mathewkofalk

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm just starting to think you pay for the name a bit with them that's all and I'm wondering where to look at other brands.

sweat044

Butterfly Fish
One thing I learned is a skimmer is something you don't want to go cheap on. Look at different sites that are non bias and read reviews about different ones. Make the decision that best suits your needs. Just my 2 cents

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
What kind of system is this? What kind of stocking level? Do you know if you want a downdraft/beckett or a needlewheel? Either might/will do better in certain situations. You might not need much of a skimmer at all. You might need 2.

mathewkofalk

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'd just like to have a kick *** skimmer and stay under 800 bucks yes I do plan on heavy bioload

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
mathewkofalk;270615 said:
I'd just like to have a kick *** skimmer and stay under 800 bucks yes I do plan on heavy bioload

Bubble Magus Nac 9 Skimmer sounds like the right 1 for you :p

mathewkofalk

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok so why run 2 of those 9 s over one of the larger one mind you I'm still very interesred in an external over an in sump

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Is this for your frag system? Frag systems do not have heavy bioloads. Oftentimes, they have negative bioload and the growing frags use more nutrients than the system has in them.

Have you really thought this frag system plan out?

If not for your frag system, then I apologize.

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Unless you're very experienced growing coral and can control your feeding, I would not go skimmerless. The reason I say 2 skimmers is the fact that If one goes out, you still have one to get you by til you can get the other fixed... If you run one, and it goes out.....you get the picture.

mathewkofalk

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yeah for sure I have an asm g1 now and will possibly have another but the x model so I was planning on them as a back up. For food I'm thinking a few different avenues but I have always done well with coral frenzy (sp) but il save that for another topic lol. So yeah I can buy a fairly awesome skimmer now so I'm probably going to. As long as I stay under 800 bucks I won't go over budget.