SPS Tank, Lighting suggestions

I am close to getting new tank, I would like to get advice on lighting. After looking through Reef Central, it seems Metal Halide lighting with either T5 or LED supplements is still popular. What are you running with a SPS dominated tank?

Thank you!

Mike

opakapaka

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
36" ATI t5 & AI Sol blues on a 80 rimless

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Lowenbrau;365223 said:
What about a Aqua Medic 3 x 250 and a 2 bulb T5 over a 4' x 2'x 18"?
If you use ati blue + t5s. It should be pretty solid. I would also add a reefbright led strip. Because you get the best of all worlds.

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I also use T5 with ATI bulbs supplemented by Evo LED strips on my frag tanks. Works out great.

Looks like I have a tank and MH fixture. Going with 80 Gallon rimless 4' x 2' x 18". Looking for a T5 setup...2 bulb?

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
I have a mixed reef and run T5s. Love the colors and such. Tanks I am building though will be mixed t5 and led on main, t5s on the refugium.

Fixture in a t5 will get in the way. look into retro kits, you will get a better bang for your buck imo

Last edited by a moderator:

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
+1 I do 2 sets of those, so 4 bulbs, over my 75g and have some decent sps colonies and a clam doing great under them

thank you.

growth rate is great, but i think growth rate has to do more with water quality then it is with lights. It is proven that any light can grow sps from led, halides, to t5. I feel as though t5 can help produce better colors but thats only imo. When used over wild rainbow acans, t5 are known to help maintain their colors were halides and led will morph the rainbow acans to unpleasant colors.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Gonefishin;365296 said:
thank you.

growth rate is great, but i think growth rate has to do more with water quality then it is with lights. It is proven that any light can grow sps from led, halides, to t5. I feel as though t5 can help produce better colors but thats only imo. When used over wild rainbow acans, t5 are known to help maintain their colors were halides and led will morph the rainbow acans to unpleasant colors.
+1