Sump

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Recently got a new aquarium whose stand has a raised plywood bottom. The plywood has torqued from water damage and the sump will not b level. Can the sump rest on the floor or do I need to replace this part of the stand? It's a 65 gallon display w a 30 gallon sump. Stand has a lot of salt creep on inside and thinking may need to replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you have the time, replace the damaged stuff so that your sump can stay in the stand. If not just put it next to the tank or something.

V

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
If the bottom is falling out don't set it up in my opinion your just asking for a disaster I would fix or replace stand so you don't come home to 65 gallons on your floor and fresh. Sushi

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Craigar;299220 said:
If the bottom is falling out don't set it up in my opinion your just asking for a disaster I would fix or replace stand so you don't come home to 65 gallons on your floor and fresh. Sushi
I had priced out lumber and it was $30 to make a new stand. Real simple w 2x4s. Thanks for the input! Will run w fresh water to test for leaks first and themake the new stand.

FluidDesigners

Platinum Sponsors
Platinum Sponsor
It might not be a bad idea to line the inside of the stand with some plastic sheets or some PVC sheets. Keeps the water off the wood, makes it easy to clean, keeps the salt creep from settling on the wood. Just something we try and do for our clients that keeps the stands looking good!

Miah2bzy;299226 said:
I had priced out lumber and it was $30 to make a new stand. Real simple w 2x4s. Thanks for the input! Will run w fresh water to test for leaks first and themake the new stand.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
FluidDesigners;299279 said:
It might not be a bad idea to line the inside of the stand with some plastic sheets or some PVC sheets. Keeps the water off the wood, makes it easy to clean, keeps the salt creep from settling on the wood. Just something we try and do for our clients that keeps the stands looking good!
+1000

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
FluidDesigners;299279 said:
The shrink wrap rolls they sell for windows works wonders. It takes a couple tries to get it to seal perfectly against the wood, but if you do it right, it ends up looking like a clear coat of paint on the wood and keeps all of the moisture out. I havent tried it on my stand yet, but it worked wonders for my homemade whelping box to keep puppy pee from seeping into the wood. Clear latex paint works good too.

Optimists say the glass is half full. Pessimists say the glass is half empty. Engineers say the glass is twice the size that it needs to be.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Planning on painting it w a wood sealer for decking. Great ideas thanks!

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
or maybe West System it? Same sealer they use on boats- 2 part resin, practically indestructible. I'd worry about having to reseal the deck stain/sealer every couple of years.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Since you're redoing it anyways, why not make a route for the water to follow. I'm thinking of a hole drilled in the wood with piping connected to it leading to a drain in case of an overflow. I have no idea of the actual logistics of this or if it's even possible, but it doesn't help to dream :sly:

Sent from my tablet using a rock and chisel

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
That would be possible and not a half bad idea if it had a remote basement sump. Otherwise not practical since water cant flow uphill.

Optimists say the glass is half full. Pessimists say the glass is half empty. Engineers say the glass is twice the size that it needs to be.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
That would b possible if it wasn't in the upstairs living room ;)

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
I was thinking it would be easy with a basement.

Without one you'd have to drill an exterior wall. Put a pretty plate on the outside and a check valve to keep the outside... well outside. A galvanised 45* or 90* fitting would give the appearance of a drain on a commercial building.

All this assuming you're in your house not a rental unit.

Sent from my tablet using a rock and chisel

Miah2bzy;299320 said:
That would b possible if it wasn't in the upstairs living room ;)

If you let me tear up your drywall, I could do this easily. Just saying

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd agree with doing the work upfront to place the sump in the stand. I routed my 20 gal sump on the floor next to the stand uncovered, although easily manageable, it's exposed and looks less clean.