T5 and ReefBrite

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Looking at going with T5/reefbrite combo on my 24x20x8 frag tank. I'm looking at the XHO Reefbrites from Gonzo. Any recommendations for the T5? How many bulbs or what brand to go with in 24"?

Last edited by a moderator:

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
What has been recommended to me for my 48". you can go with 4 tubes and LET reflectors, with ATI blueplus +, Purple plus and/or coral plus bulbs. I will be doing 2 blue+ a purple + and 1 coral + when I replace my lights along with LET reflectors

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm new to T5's... is there a complete setup you can buy? Reflectors, dimming unit, other stuff needed? Or do I need to assemble?

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Those ATI Sunpowers do appear to have individual reflectors plus a dimmer, so those would be pretty much complete, just plug them in and go. That wattage with the reflectors should be more then enough to grow just about anything in that tank.
Pretty pricey though. You could also consider retrofit kits and mount/assemble them yourself as welll. You could get the setup you want, with reflectors and dimmer for half the price then. Havent done one of those myself but have looked at them.
Andrew or some of the others might be able to give you more info

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
I would say you dont need the dimmer. Infact, and I might be wrong about this, but I dont think florescent bulbs like to be dimmed, and doing so may cut the life on the bulbs. Although I have never really tried/tested it to find out, but that would be my hunch.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Munch;298012 said:
Nice... so this is complete, right? Seems like it...
Ya that is a complete setup, and those LET reflectors are rated as the best reflectors out there. Best part is the price tag too

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Yes sir space those out every 4" or whatever slap 2 reef brites in there and pow you got super lighting lol

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Think both make pretty good bulbs, but the ATI certainly seem to be the prefered

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Andrew_bram;298025 said:
I would run 4 and get better spread and options of spectrum and just run them a little higher off the tank.
How many ATI bulbs you run on your 215?