t5 ligth for a biocube?

tony02133

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Can i put t5 lights on my biocube with out having to take of the top . ??

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
I know coralife make a 9" t5 light, which I have used for a short time but it would blow out bulbs every few days so I changed to a small LED light. Almost all other t5 fixtures come in 20" or bigger. I'd say power compacts might be more in line with what you are looking for, but you might be better off going with a small LED fixture

It would be hard to do without removing the top and adding an external fixture. I did this with my biocube and honestly felt like it was a completely different tank, I feel having an external fixture, t5 or led, really enhances the look!

tony02133

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
The thing is that I don't want to remove the top and also want to keep sps corals that's why I don't like the stock lights

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
well afraid the coralife fixture i mentioned wont even come close to growing sps corals. so would need something better, like an LET retro fit kit, but those only go down to 24", and almost all fixtures that are are decent only go to 24". Id say small LED light is your only real option if you want to grow sps

tony02133

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok thanks for your help , this is frustrating lol

SynDen;305146 said:
well afraid the coralife fixture i mentioned wont even come close to growing sps corals. so would need something better, like an LET retro fit kit, but those only go down to 24", and almost all fixtures that are are decent only go to 24". Id say small LED light is your only real option if you want to grow sps
Agreed!

tony02133

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
So wish type and brand will you guys recommend t5 ,led or metal halide???

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Why don't you get the metal halide hood for it? I believe it's a 150 bulb, and could grow anything in a biocube

tony02133

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Blazinjack;305162 said:
Why don't you get the metal halide hood for it? I believe it's a 150 bulb, and could grow anything in a biocube
I never thought of that do you know where I can find one ?