Table Shrimp, silverside, "meaty" on the cheap

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Alright, as I fall ever so out of control into other critters I hadn't planned on, I'm trying to figure out what some of my more economical options are.

For some of my stuff there is no way around the formulated small stuff for feeding LPS and fish foods. But I have some hardy critters which are more than happy to eat table shrimp and the like. But seeing as table shrimp is meant for people I'm not sure if it's actually the cheaper option.

So any ideas on what the cheaper source for "meaty" seafoods would be for my Mantis/Bristle&Serpect stars/etc would be? I kinda wondered about finding an asian market down in denver and buying live or frozen on the cheap there. Maybe stuff I'd be more scared of eating myself but are fine for the beasties. Or is there silversides or similiar that can be bought somewhat more economically than the $12+ frozen trays of other stuff.

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Also, in terms of dry food. Is there a certain technique? Just got some fishes. I havnt messed with the frozen food I have yet. I have mega one first flakes and instant ocean marine chips, sinking pellets, seaweed, and some IO food gel.

Banded Goby, Scooter blenny, 2 tomato clowns.

Don't seem to go for flakes floating. Pinching them underwater so they float and sink they will get like one small flake out of 8. Goby eats well, Clowns seem to just run in circles occasionally getting one. One clown more aggressive about eating.

Sinking pellets the goby seems to eat, not the clowns.

The nori I don't think anyone eats but maybe snails hermits.

No one seems to like the food gel but hermits.

Are these guys just spoiled on frozen "beefy" foods, or maybe still unhappy from a move yesterday? Or do I feed like an idiot.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Spoiled. Get them hungry by cutting out frozen for a couple days and they'll be more likely to start going after dry food. It can be hit or miss...but you'll have a better chance if they are hungry enough.

If you are anywhere near NW Denver I have some krill that I'm not using...you're welcome to take it and try it out.