tank center brace question

So I have a 75 RR I'm planning on swapping with my 65. I have a 32 inch LED fixture with 120° optics and capable of the 75's length. Only issue is, the factory plastic trim/brace will block out a fair amount of light. I already cut the brace out, but do not plan on using the tank til I get bracing back in. Euro bracing would be cool, but would cover the overflow not allowing me to plumb it. I was originally thinking of a 4 inch wide, 3/8 inch thick piece to just take place of the plastic brace. I left a little bit of the trim in the center to silicone to as well as leaving a small gap at each end to fill with silicone. Would this be sufficient enough? As I know the tanks with glass braces have about a foot wide brace. I need to stay at max 4-4.5" wide. My 65 has had the center brace cut out since before I owned it and is still ok, luckily. But I can feel the bow in the glass with my mag float it kind of worries me. Just happened to get a 75 in a trade and want to swap it not only for swim room for my tang, but also for the bracing issue. All my equipment is capable of the extra 10 gallons. Just want to make sure my bracing will work. Otherwise I think I'll be looking at replacing the trim and get the plastic brace back in place. Any help would be appreciated. Can't get ahold of any custom tank places since its the weekend so hoping to find some good help. Let me know! Thanks!

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
You can get away with an acrylic brace, but you cant just silicon it. You need actual fasteners like nylon or aluminum bolts in addition to the silicon or it wont hold. If you cant do it that way, you need to replace the entire top assembly.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life, and you can PROVE it mathematically.

Dr.DiSilicate

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I'm no expert but here's what I did with my 75 when I had it. I fan it for a year after and sold it. The new owner is still happy. I removes the trim entirely! Made it entirely rimless. I was a bit nervous to run it that way so i braced the center with 1/4" x 3" plate glass from the local glass store. I siliconed it in and.... all was good. Looked great too. Also, euro bracing would look and function very well. I'd do 1.5" eurobracing. Good luck!

My only concern with euro bracing is covering up the overflow. 1 1/2" would definitely leave it open, but should I beef up the front euro to compensate for the difference? Everything I've read and watched so far has recommended at least 2 inches for euro bracing. Also, one reason I would like to stay with a center brace is to hold the glass tops. I do use glass tops only cause the house I'm in uses a furnace and constantly having dust get everywhere and want to keep as much out of the system as possible. Just don't need extra organics to cause a spike or anything. Not sure if that would happen, just have always used glass tops for dust and particulate reasons